Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I`m a brand new member and look forward to visiting this sit daily and interacting with all of you.

I have 2008 Impala LTZ, it currently has 83k.

I have had a trans issue since 60k and have been getting the run around from the dealer and GM. My trans has been doing the surge thing and serious front end shake during take offs, both cold and hot. The problem is everytime I take it to the dealer they tell me there are no codes, and it should throw a code if the trans is acting up, however the trans IS acting up and has been for over 20k, without any codes

Now my warranty is up and the dealer and GM act like this is the FIRST time they have ever heard of this Gen Impala acting this way, so my questions is, WHY does the dealer and GM treat loyal customers this way, I cant believe they have no idea why the trans is doing this, and if they do, why don`t they fix it so they will have a returning customer in the future????? If I have to buy a new trans I will not buy another GM car product again! I can understand 150k+, but not 60k.....

Disappointed GM customer, Nick

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Welcome Nick, I'm Nick.

If you have been taking it in for the last 20k miles for the same issue, they are liable for it regardless of the warranty being expired now. Trans problems are EXTREMELY common in these cars, and it rarely sets a check engine light. I would strongly suggest you get in contact with Katie, our GM customer service rep here, she can help you get it taken care of. You obviously have one of the terrible dealers who doesn't deserve to be in business. Its long been the mark of lazy and stupid technicians to say if there isn't a light, there isn't a problem. Huge red flag, in the future, remember to just walk away, and find another dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kingnutin

I agree, however I did not get much help from the GM person either?? I will try to take it to another dealer, I appreciate your help and will let you know how it goes.

Quick question, The engine is using about 1 qt to 1.5 qts every 5k, the dealer told me this is NORMAL!!!! I told him if that is normal, then it should also be normal for GM to be losing market share!!

Any thoughts? Nick

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Normal is a relative term here, that is unfortunately well within GM guidelines for oil usage, though there is nothing ok about it. 08 LTZ, that should mean you have AFM (DOD), which is known to cause oil consumption. They did come up with a fix for it, but only for the V8 engines. Supposedly some oils are more resistant to it, castrol syntec being one of them. But first make sure it isn't leaking anywhere, oil filter adaptor, front crank seal, and heads are all common leak points.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When mine was in the 80K range, it was using about 1 qt per 5K miles, now using just shy of 1.5qt per 5K. Not a big deal for me, as I remember the olden days where 2K miles per quart was a good thing even on the relatively newer, low-mileage vehicles. Even at $2.99 per quart, figure oil is still pretty cheap as compared to some of the alternatives and related risks.

As kingnutin mentioned - the DOD/AFM does seem to affect consumption - notice on the calm periods when the vehicle stays in 3-cyl mode longer - oil consumption does seem to increase as noted during the weekly dipstick checks.

To commiserate - my perception of the GM dealers around these parts is that they're the absolute choice-of-last-resort for problems. As for GM corporate - they pretty much scorched my shorts into ashes with their old-GM / new-GM warranty philosophy for the rear camber issue.

·
Registered
954 Posts
08 LTZ (Nick), I'm so sorry to see you've remained concerned with your Impala! I apologize for your frustrations, and please do PM me again if you would like me to investigate further for you. I'm off duty this weekend, so if you would like immediate assistance in the meantime please don't hesitate to contact my Customer Service counterparts who operate the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center hotline. Agents are available 800-222-1020, Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you Katie, to be honest, I`ll take any help I can get. I come from a long line of GM owners, starting with my Uncle who was a GM Engineer, the only cars/trucks I have ever seen my Gma, Uncles and Family own have been GM to this day. I`m also apart of this, but mine have been new and classics.

My point being, I will accept all help and really hope this experence brings my loyality and proud American buyer back!! Katie, let me know what you need from me and I`m happy to help. I would appreciate the tranny issue being top priority, I fear this will be the camel that breaks my American buying product back, and most costly also.

Thank you for all your responses and I look forward to what your help brings me, Nick

·
Registered
954 Posts
Nick, thanks for the speedy response! If you don't mind sending me a private message with the last eight of your VIN, I can explore your best next steps with you.

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for response and PM Katie, I do appreaciate the advise. Only problem is I have already called GM and even have a case number, however, the only help (and if the trans goes, it might be great:eek:k3: or might not:bang:) is I was told that if the problem gets worse they have record of this problem happening before the warrty expired.

I`ll keep you all posted, I think as of now i will just drive it and hope for the best.......

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
378 Posts
I'm just barely over 30,000 miles on my '08 LTZ!

I started an Oil-consumption test last Oct. when my car had ~27,500 miles on it. Last summer, I started watching the oil closer when I heard of this issue here. At the end of the test recently, my 3.9 V6 had burned...

>>> 1.5 Qts. in 3,400 miles...Mobil-1 used all winter too.

I reminded the Svc.-Mgr. & District Warranty person that I had the V6, not the V8.
Bottom-line-
I would've been getting the repairs if I had a V8!
(They had forgotten I had the 6 when I was approved for the "V8" fix)

BUT...since I have 2 less cylinders, I'm SOL...

At least this started in the 5-yr Powertrain wty.!

Today, I just sent a last-ditch email to Chevy/District-Wty.
I doubt it'll lead to anything, but....:dizzy:

Faron:bang:

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
378 Posts
Oil-rec. from the Owners-Manual...

(waiting another day or 2 to hear back from District-Warranty dude...)

GOTTA change-out my Mobil-1 soon! It's been in there since last Oct. when I started the Oil-cons. test on my '08 LTZ.
Since the END of that test this Feb., I've :WTF: burned ANOTHER .80 Qts.!!!
(DURING the test, it burned 1.5Qts. in 3,400 miles)

I stopped at the dealer yesterday, & had them record my newest level, which was JUST on the stick! This is frustrating!! On Thurs., I sent a "last-ditch" email, expressing my disappointment over Chevy not offering "Special-Coverage" in my case...to at least do the top-engine cleaning on my 6.

Sooooo anyway...to decide what oil to use (synth. or Dino.), upon checking my O-M, it says on pg. 5-20...

"If you are in an area of extreme cold, where the temp. falls below -20F/-29C, it is recommended that you use either an SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil, or an SAE 0W-30 Oil. Both provide easier cold-starting & better protection for the engine at extremely cold temps."

Well...this IS Fargo, ND!!!...and we got that cold this winter a few times!

Anyhoo-
It's finally early spring here.
What kind of oil should I put in, considering I've got a "burner"...and it doesn't look like I'll get the cylinder-cleaning done...:gaah:...??

Faron

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
After hearing about all of the oil consumption problems with the AFM on the 3.9 L, I'm glad that I have an 06 LTZ with no AFM. It runs perfectly. Could it be that the solenoids need changing?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Faron79 - FWIW, I would lean toward the spec'd 5W30 that meets the SN designation, as I would hope the temperatures aren't expected to reach -20F in the coming months. Personally, I go for cheap as long as it meets those guidelines, which generally means standard dino oil. Given you're already on synthetic, probably should stick with it. Perhaps try a synthetic other than Mobil-1 to validate the problem isn't with the oil? At any rate, read somewhere that using other than the recommend viscosity will affect DOD/AFM performance.

I trust a good quality filter is being used? Observation here is that motor tolerances have gotten much tighter, so that a poor quality filter isn't much different than no filter at all in the scheme of things. Local chain parts store had a deal on an oil & filter package which made the oil alone a good deal ($11.99 for a 5-quart jug + store branded filter). Got to looking at the filter quality, even before I saw the Made In China stamp - it was already 'oh hell no' - and into the trash it went.

If I ciphered right, your test lasted about 4 months for 3,400 miles - coming out to 850 miles per month average. If your driving habits haven't change in the last month, you've consumed 0.8 quarts in 850 miles - at a rate of 1062 miles per quart. Perhaps ask for another burn test? At that rate, suggest one should either see puffing out the tailpipes, or a puddle in the parking area. My '89 Ford 302 with 214,000 miles barely gets 1,000 miles per quart, but the rear main leaks enough that I'm considering how to fit a diaper on it due to drippage. Not too bad for a 24-year-old engine designed in the 60s and running on 80s vintage computer control technology, eh? :)~

My preference is to not let the oil get a quart low before topping off - after all, with only a 4-quart capacity - one quart is a loss of 25% of the oil available. Top off here whenever it gets 0.5 quart down. Another preference is related to the old-school education - change it at 5,000 miles whether it needs it or not - the oil life monitor seems to be consistent, usually at 41-44% life. 5,000 miles just makes it easy to remember and plan for.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
378 Posts
WDE-

Thanks for all your calculations, advice, & perspective!!

I decided to add ~75%/qt. today of CONV. 5W-30 from ACE Hdwr. (where we get a great discount on many ACE-branded items), since I'm gonna change the oil in a couple days, without much driving.
>>> I added ~1 CUP of Seafoam with the new oil too.

Opinions on this anyone?!
:hiding:Hopefully it'll clean my rings.....a TEENY-bit...??!!??!:dizzy:

Faron

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not aware of any issues with mixing conventional and synthetic oils.

Have never put SeaFoam in the oil, but IIRC, this is an acceptable practice per SeaFoam, so I wouldn't have a problem with it.

BTW, I think all forms of automotive gasoline are supposed to have some amount of cleaner blended in, per congressional/EPA mandate in efforts to keep the fuel injectors clean thereby reducing emissions and the like. Whether this happens or not or if the specified amount is enough remains the stuff of discussions.

Another thought - perhaps in your discussions, leave it open as to what the solution should be - make Chevy either propose a remedy or outright tell you to go soak yourself. Not sure what you have available to you in ND, but perhaps drop a hint that you are looking into pursuing relief through any state lemon laws??? Your vehicle has too few miles to be using that much oil already.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
378 Posts
Hey WDE-

Again, thanks! Never thought of the Lemon-Law angle!!!
I'll be doing some research now...

Arguing against the "It's within GM-specs" vagueness/baloney is problematic though. If I have to email them again, though, I'll be bringing-up legal remedies.

Faron

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Maybe the words "class action" will get their attention?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Waiting to see what Chevrolet Customer Service does with this.......:eek:k3:

Best way to deal with this...and I HOPE you have your past bill's from going to the dealer, is to get hold a the area rep for GM. Dealers HATE getting a call from them as it raises a red flag...they will usually kiss your feet after a call from them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello everyone, I wanted to leave a follow up post, because many GOOD things have happened to my Impala Since I was last online!!

1st, Thanks for all your advise, I tried it and it worked!! I was taking my car to Performance Chevy in Sacramento, CA (along with calling GM too) and was getting ZERO help:gaah::gaah:. So taking the advise from this Forum I took the Impala to a different dealer. I was expecting the same results........ but I was WRONG:clap:.

I took my Impala to John L Suillvan Chevy in Roseville, CA and HIGHLY recommend if your in the Sacramento area to do the same. Toscha Wells was my adviser and plannly put... SHE ROCKS!!:eek:k3:

So after getting nowhere with Performance Chevy, Toscha set up for me to take a tech on a test drive, during which the car did the many things I was complianing about (Surging, running ruff, etc). The tech knew exactly what was causing it!

Long story short: GM warranty did NOTHING! however my wife bought the extended warranty a month after we bought the car and to be honest I was a little pissed at first ($1800.00) because of the cost.... but after this experence it was worth every penny.

So Toscha called me and said they many things wrong with car that the warrant company has approved to fix with a total cost of $8300.00! Only out of pocket costs were deductable ($100.00) and head bolts (I`ll explain shortly).

This what the dealer found wrong with our 2008 Impala LTZ w/ 86k on it:

#1 Sparkplug had carbon tracking (basically needed replacement) causing sputtering around 40-50 MPH

PC solenoid sticking in trans which caused damage to forward cluches and 2-1 band. Dealer recommnded fioxing parts BUT warrant company replaced with BRAND NEW TRANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yikes:

Found leaking front crank seal, fixed by replacing it!!

Found both front wheel hubs had excessive play so they replaced both!!

(This is awesome!) Found BOTH:cool: head gaskets where leaking, so fixed by replacing both head gaskets.....HOLY [email protected]*T!

Found leaking oil pan gasket, fixed by replacing.

It took the dealer a week to fix all (had to wait for trans) and they payed for my rental!

End of story and I swear I`m not a warranty saleman, but that warranty saved my butt.

Thank you so much Toscha!! John L Sullivan! Of course the Tech and my Extended Warranty!!!!

Thank you Nick

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yeah, being just outside of the factory warranty, it's a damn good thing you got the extended! I'm happy to hear you found a good dealership, and I appreciate you posting both of them here. Hopefully you can save other people from the same headache, and hopefully the bad dealer will suffer for their incompetence.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts