Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 Impala LT Service Airbag Warning

Purchased a 2008 Impala 3.5 LT Flex for my son. Fixed a few various issues but the last remaining one is a service airbag warning in the display. I’ve checked all the connections and have pulled the seat, carpet, and trim to check the fuse block connections and wiring.

From what I can tell is if I sit in the passenger it recognizes the seatbelt latching but the abs light in the center dash never shows the passenger seat as occupied / airbag on. I’m leaning towards the bladder type sensor in the seat being the fault and not signaling presence in the seat. It would appear this would involve tearing the seat apart and replacing the bladder / sensor.

My scan tool is not capable of reading the airbag system so I am considering an upgrade to a better scanner. I also don’t have a wiring schematic yet. I’m concerned about taking it to a dealer due to cost but in the long run it might be better. Has anyone experienced this issue and been able to confirm this as a problem? An alternative thought would be to buy a full seat from the locate boneyard and replace it entirely.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found schematics for the Passenger Presence System and Seat Belts. IM me and I can send them to you.
Are the schematics different from the ones you attached? Those give me a place to start for sure. New scanner will be here today so hoping I can resolve this after that.

Thank you for your help so far.

:)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i had an airbag light go off on my 2010 for over a year. then after a suggestion here i applied die-electric grease on the yellow connectors under the front seats. problem solved for me. i know you said you checked the connections but maybe take a second look? this was a common issue with several people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had an airbag light go off on my 2010 for over a year. then after a suggestion here i applied die-electric grease on the yellow connectors under the front seats. problem solved for me. i know you said you checked the connections but maybe take a second look? this was a common issue with several people.

I’ll look at them again once I look at the codes. I did have them unplugged and put a small amount or dielectric grease on the terminals. Unfortunately it did not fix / remove the error. However, I have read where these codes can be set by lack of battery power and in this case the battery failed or was just old by it helped to kill the alternator. I have remedied those issues as well as a few others. I’m hoping once I can clear the code it will be gone. There’s no way to remove the code without the scanner. Im thinking that even if a connection problem existed and was fixed at the connections that it won’t simply turn off the warning.

My main concern is to have the codes gone. We are an emission state and the car is plugged into the network. It will not pass.

I’m my mind, the code and the dash light in the middle of the dash, are two different things possibly. The pps, unless the sensor is shorted, shouldn’t care less if anyone is in the seat other than it won’t turn the airbag on. I’m somewhat good mechanically and electrically but don’t deal with these everyday. I’m trying to rule out the simple stuff (read cheaper) to see if I can resolve or identify the issue. I can replace the seat sensor or whatever if needed as long as I can identify the true cause. If I can’t, the solution is to go down the dealer path and I’ve not been overly impressed with their skills around here never mind the expense.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I found schematics for the Passenger Presence System and Seat Belts. IM me and I can send them to you.
Are the schematics different from the ones you attached? Those give me a place to start for sure. New scanner will be here today so hoping I can resolve this after that.

Thank you for your help so far.

/images/ImpalaForums_toucan/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
The schematics are the same ones. My view of the attachment thumbnails didn't look right. I thought they didn't upload.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to update this as I go along. I scanned the vehicle today and there were 9 codes set in the airbag system. After clearing them I still had one code that would not clear. This code was the B0083 that indicates the front sensor has an issue. After looking at the sensors I noticed black tape had been added and decided to pull the indicated sensor off the vehicle. I assume both have the same issue or will given the condition of the first.

This is what I know so far. Given age of the vehicle we will attempt used replacements if nothing more than to correct the current issue. If they fail after then we can replace with new at a later time. Will follow up if this fixes the current issue or not.

The schematics are the same ones. My view of the attachment thumbnails didn't look right. I thought they didn't upload.
Yeah I seem to be having some issues with the way images work here but thanks. Any help on this is appreciated and we seem to be making a small bit of progress so far.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wanted to update this as I go along. I scanned the vehicle today and there were 9 codes set in the airbag system. After clearing them I still had one code that would not clear. This code was the B0083 that indicates the front sensor has an issue. After looking at the sensors I noticed black tape had been added and decided to pull the indicated sensor off the vehicle. I assume both have the same issue or will given the condition of the first.

Any progress with this issue? Have you cleaned up the pin and socket, applied dielectric grease and tried reusing the sensor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Any progress with this issue? Have you cleaned up the pin and socket, applied dielectric grease and tried reusing the sensor?

Went to the local junkyard and got both sensors from a 2010 Impala. Cut off the leads from the 2010 about 18 inches back from the sensors and spliced / soldered them into the 2008. Cleaned everything up prior to install and added dielectric grease to the connectors and mounting bolts. Put everything back together and the code is gone but cleared out the set code with the scan tool afterwards to verify. All good on that end.

Now, oil pressure sender is leaking and several brake items to replace / fix. Sure do love the rust belt... :bang:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts