Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,, hope some one can help.
Today I went to take the SS out and noticed a whine with acceleration coming from the engine compartment. Found the whine coming from the Alternator and that the Alternator was very hot to the touch!
Check battery voltage and it was 12.9. ran it and checked alternator voltage and it was 13-6, reved it and it was 14.6+.
So It appears the Alt is putting out.
Load tested battery and it is good.
Let it idle for about five minutes and the whine diminished but again the alternator was very hot to the touch (car was not even up to running temp yet.
So,, could the alternator be bad but still be putting out voltage?
I used a 100 amp battery and laded the battery pretty good and it read good.
At $300 for an alternator I don't want to waste money throwing parts at it,,but don't want the wife driving it and getting stranded.
Anything else I should look at?
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well,, being that the Optima Yellow top is four years old I did some research. Seems that Optima quality has gone downhill and four years is about the life of that expensive battery!
Even though the battery load tested and passed I figured it best to replace the battery first and see what the alternator does!
If it turns out to be the Alt then at least I won't fry a $300 alternator from a bad battery!
My wallet is praying it is just the Batt!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts