Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 08 LS. 1st gear slips in the lower RPM’s and Overdrive slips pretty bad too. 2nd and 3rd are fine. Instead of going with a rebuild I want to just drop a used tranny in there and be done with it.

What year/trims are compatible with an 08 Impala LS? Tried the search function to no avail.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
What year/trims are compatible with an 08 Impala LS? Tried the search function to no avail.
Assuming you're going to a junk yard, the guys there should be able to help you cross it. They should have access to a Hollander reference which is their bible for crossing stuff.

Also, I would gather all the info you can off your transaxle. I think there are two tags on it - for sure, there is at least one :)

I have a spread sheet that documents the info on the tags, but I can't upload it here. PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you. Knowing the details of your transaxle will be helpful in crossing it.

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming you're going to a junk yard, the guys there should be able to help you cross it. They should have access to a Hollander reference which is their bible for crossing stuff.

Also, I would gather all the info you can off your transaxle. I think there are two tags on it - for sure, there is at least one :)

I have a spread sheet that documents the info on the tags, but I can't upload it here. PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you. Knowing the details of your transaxle will be helpful in crossing it.

Doug

Is there anyway I can get the transaxle info off of my VIN? Being that it stock and was never changed?

Also, I went ahead and shot you a PM.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Is there anyway I can get the transaxle info off of my VIN? Being that it stock and was never changed?

Also, I went ahead and shot you a PM.

Thanks
I emailed you the spreadsheet.

Looking at some of the VIN's I've decoded, sometimes the info will include some rudimentary trans info such as "4 speed automatic" but I didn't see any special model callouts such as 4T65E (transaxle common to many Impalas).

If you raise the hood, and maybe move the air filter housing, you might be able to see the tag on the transaxle and get a phone pic of it. Sometimes, it's hard to get a good pic, in which case, it's not very difficult to simply render a reasonable facsimile with pencil and paper (a forgotten technology ;) ).

Depending on where you get the transmission, they may not need you to provide the tag info - they might be able to do it for you (if you can get the car to them). Or maybe they can look it up based simply on year and engine - some years there was only one engine-trans combo available. I think all 2013's had 3.6L LFX engines and 6T70 transaxles. But in other years, such as 2007, there were 3 different engines available with at least two different versions of the 4T65E transaxle.

You want to get an exact match, so the more info you have going in, the less chance there is of getting the wrong transaxle.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since the OP is replacing the OE transaxle, wouldn't the engine & transaxle info be in the RPO codes on the Service Parts label in the trunk?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Since the OP is replacing the OE transaxle, wouldn't the engine & transaxle info be in the RPO codes on the Service Parts label in the trunk?
That might be helpful. I saw, for one of the transaxles used in the the Cruze, there were several different RPOs for the same transaxle model, each one for a different final drive ratio. So knowing that RPO might help zero in on the particular version of the transaxle, but the RPO is not printed on the transaxle.

In the case of getting a transaxle from a junkyard, if it's already been pulled from the car and put in inventory, it's been separated from the RPO sticker.

Also, keep in mind, a given RPO code doesn't necessarily mean the same thing from year to year, altho they usually do. But it's not guaranteed. That is, if you're swapping a 6T70 from a 2013 to a 2014, you would want to be assured they didn't change the final drive ratio while keeping the same RPO code. (They probably wouldn't do that, but it's nice to know for sure.)

Furthermore, the RPO doesn't necessarily fully specify the transaxle. For example, on my 2013 Cruze, MH9 specifies the 6T30, but a separate RPO, FVI, specifies the final drive ratio, 3.72. And trying to decode all the RPO's to see which ones apply is difficult.

Prompted by this discussion, I just ran all 70 of the RPOs on my 2007 SS, and got 30 N/A's, which is typical. With another reference, I could probably decode another 20 or so, but there will always be a few that remain unresolved. (BTW, for my SS, MN7 specifies the 4T65E-HD while FR2 specifies the final drive ratio, 2.93).

Sorry to be so long winded on the RPO stuff. For sure, having that info won't hurt, and may be helpful. But for me, not being an expert on transaxles, I would try to get all the info I can get my hands on - ie, pics of the transaxle tags - before I put money on the counter at the salvage yard.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts