Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a story to tell about my 2008 Chevy Impala SS 5.3

So the wife and I bought a 08 SS Impala Sept of 2017. It had 26000 original miles on it. The car is in showroom condition.
After a month of driving it around I noticed the oil level was going down. So I take it into the chevy garage and they started an oil consumption test(monitoring the oil level for 5000 miles). This drug out the summer of 2018 since we dont drive far. The entire time I was talking to the after market warranty people. During the oil consumption test the chevy garage sends me a bill for 40 some dollars to add one quart of oil because every 1000 miles the oil level would go off the stick. So I talk with the warranty company ASC and ask who is going to pay this. The guy at the warranty company said I was responsible and that it was silly paying that much. He said from here on out that I could check the oil and call him each time I had to add oil and record the mileage.
So after I added 5 quarts of oil over the last 5000 miles the guy at the warranty place tells me to take it to a garage of my choice to get a new engine installed. So a good friend of mine works at a well known chevy garage, its a long drive but since it's such a large job I thought it would be worth it. SO I line everything up get the car there and they check it out. I get a call the next day and the chevy garage says its going to cost money to diagnose it.
This triggered a huge argument. I ended up getting the car back with nothing done. After talking with the manager of the aftermarket warranty company they oked to pay again to diagnose the oil problem.
So back to the chevy garage again one week before Thanksgiving 2018. Two weeks into Jan 2019 after all kinds of back and forth I get a call saying the warranty company will only cover what the NADA trade in value is on the car 5650 and total cost of new engine installed will still cost me 800 some dollars and my warranty will no longer exist. I used the warranty prior to the engine on a wheel bearing which was also minused out from the overall trade in value.

So I think our car will be done next week. I dont drive it in the winter time so even though I miss the car I still cant really drive it to much yet.

I just wonder if this has happened to any one else and if not maybe someone might see this if they are going through the same problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
While it sucks that it took so long, at least you'll end up with a brand new engine for $800 (installed). Have to try and look at the bright side of things, I guess... :)

I'm sure there are others that couldn't even get the extended warranty company to give them a new engine at all for oil consumption...

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does, but that is exactly how we feel to. I am a retired mechanic (fractured spine) and I am sure others would have been taking advantage of. Here she be.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Surprised the warranty came through for you and is paying for a brand new engine on a car that old even with the low miles. Did they not do an inspection prior? Regardless, sounds like you came out pretty well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surprised the warranty came through for you and is paying for a brand new engine on a car that old even with the low miles. Did they not do an inspection prior? Regardless, sounds like you came out pretty well.
Well I had a nice post with additional information regarding the inspection but it said my post had to be approved by an admin, I guess cause I have pictures involved, so Ill give it another couple days to see if the post shows up, if not I will rewrite a post on the inspection with out the pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick Update:
I got my car back, new 5.3 Liter LS4 , well GM reman. Total on the bill was $6346.00 I had to pay out 869.34
So nice to start the car without knocking and ticking. I wont know about burning oil until good weather breaks and I can put some miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Very cool! Glad that things worked out for you in the end. I'm sure you'll be fine in terms of oil consumption now. That is one extended warranty that definitely paid off! :) Personally, I always get an extended warranty - some times you win, some times you lose, but it always gives me peace of mind that I won't have to spend a huge amount of money on anything for a good 5-10 years (depending on the warranty length, miles, etc)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks and well said! That is the best advice to anyone who is thinking about an extended warranty or after market warranty. " some times you win, some times you lose" :) I do feel I got very lucky even after all the BS I went through and even taking over a year to get taken care of.

So new engine and just put new Yokohama tires on it and after all this trouble we are considering selling it. Im worried the transmission will be next and the new engine and tires would be good selling points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts