Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

About a year ago I replaced my rear brake lights with LEDs. However, till recently, the passenger rear brake light is not flashing with turn signal activated and not lighting up when braking. My passenger front blinker still works. The turn signal on the dashboard blinks very fast. I've switched bulbs, so I know that is not an issue. My only guesses is a bad relay or wiring issue. Any guesses?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hi Everyone,

About a year ago I replaced my rear brake lights with LEDs. However, till recently, the passenger rear brake light is not flashing with turn signal activated and not lighting up when braking. My passenger front blinker still works. The turn signal on the dashboard blinks very fast. I've switched bulbs, so I know that is not an issue. My only guesses is a bad relay or wiring issue. Any guesses?

The problem lies with the aftermarket, non-OEM bulbs - or the right rear bulb socket.

If you switched bulbs to the OEM style and still have a problem, I would inspect the socket closely. GM sells replacement sockets with a pigtail, so you can cut off the old socket and replace it - without having to replace the entire rear harness.

The 8th generation Impala rear tail lamps came with the rear harness with sockets attached to the lamp (which plugs into another rear wiring harness).

You may want to go to a junkyard if you’re on a budget and buy a used tail lamp with the attached harness - and transfer the harness to your car. The lamp assemblies are very easy to remove, by unscrewing the plastic nuts on the inside of the trunk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts