Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this morning for the first time when my car is on there is a ticking or clicking noise coming from the engine bay. I have a 2008 Impala LS with 156,000 miles on it. This happens when I am accelerating or even when I am idling and obviously gets worse with the more gas I give it. I popped the hood as soon as I got to work with the engine still on and I located it to be somewhere directly beneath the "3500 V6" on the plastic covering in the engine bay (see below picture) I haven't done anything to the car other than add a aftermarket head unit about a year ago. I also checked and topped off all fluids 2-3 days ago so I do not believe anything like that would be an issue. I have now had 2 separate occasions where I have gotten an "engine reduced power" warning. I am not sure if that is related or not but that issue goes away on it's own and I have been told it is a faulty throttle position sensor so I am waiting for that to happen again before I go and fix it. Any help/advise anyone can give me I would really appreciate. I love this car but am worried it is coming up on it's last legs.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you tell if it's coming from one of the valve covers? Pull that engine cover off and get about a two foot long piece of 3/4" hose and listen through it to see if you can locate where exactly it is coming from. Use it like a stethoscope. If it's coming from the valve cover it's something in the valve train.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts