Impala Forums banner

2008 Chevrolet Impala 3.5L FI OHV 6cyl question

428 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  prolapsedman
Hello ,

I just got a 2008 Chevrolet Impala 3.5L FI OHV 6cyl. I don’t have the flex fuel badges or cap but was wondering if flex fuel will work in my car ? I was told by gm that the motor can use flex fuel and I can put it in but I’m confused by what I read and they told me. I don’t have a k on the vin but a N. Any help would be appreciated.
Reactions: 1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I wouldn't take the chance, if I were you. Around here, the price difference isn't enough to justify the big drop in mileage.
Reactions: 3
I may be wrong, but I thought that the non-flex fuel engines did not have the ethanol composition sensor or different fuel maps for the different ethanol content. Think this would mean your car will not adjust fuel ratio or timing based on what kind of fuel is in your car. Will it still run with e85? Probably. It likely won't adjust for the higher ethanol content, and you will probably get even worse gas mileage than a typical car running on e85 would get. Might also damage rubber components that aren't rated for the high amount of ethanol. Not worth running it. You won't get the performance benefit, and you won't save money.
Reactions: 4
If your vin number says it's not a flex fuel engine, I wouldn't chance it...
GM started taking "FLEX FUEL" badges off their vehicles around 2008, so did you check your owners manual, how about a sticker in the area of your fuel filler cap, or a sticker in your engine compartment, in the door jamb?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts