Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My check engine light came on about 3 months ago. The code read oil pressure sensor. I replaced the sensor and the light came off. 3 months later the light came back on. I replaced the sensor switch again. Light is still on. The plug had a crack on it. So I thought it could be the problem. I brought it to a repair shop and told them the check engine light was on for oil pressure sensor switch. They kept it over night and ended up replacing an oil sending unit pigtail. Well I showed up when they were closed and one guy was closing up and left after I took the car. My light is STILL ON!!!! Now first off... I just paid 130$ for something that didnt even fix the problem??? Is this wrong or is this how it usually goes when you bring something to a repair shop..? What else could possibly be the problem?? The vehicle seems to drive fine.. it did before they repaired it also. I drive it to work about 15 min away every day. If I drive pver 40 minutes a display message comes up and reads shut off engine low oil pressure and the oil can appears and starts dinging constantly. I shut it off and drive again and it is fine. I havent drove it 40 minutes since the repair but I also dont have the gas for it. Any suggestions?? Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe they didn't reset the code. Try the 40m and see what happens.
I don't think I would want them to reset the code. If they reset the code it could go off a month later. Last time I fixed it the light came off on its own

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Un hook the battery for 5 minutes and then try again.
But,,,,,
Just for curiosity though.
And I really don't want to sound like a dink here but ,,,,,,,,,
Is there in fact the proper amount of oil in the vehicle and
When was it changed last ?
AND
Has anyone actually hooked a gauge to the engine and actually checked the oil pressure ?
Just wondering that's all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Un hook the battery for 5 minutes and then try again.
But,,,,,
Just for curiosity though.
And I really don't want to sound like a dink here but ,,,,,,,,,
Is there in fact the proper amount of oil in the vehicle and
When was it changed last ?
AND
Has anyone actually hooked a gauge to the engine and actually checked the oil pressure ?
Just wondering that's all
I had the oil changed about 3 weeks ago thinking it would maybe clear the light. But I have not used a guage nor now how. I didnt ask the mechanic either. One thing I can ask him tomorrow. And I will try unhooking the battery thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I unhooked the battery for about 15 minutes. Light is on when I only turn the key a notch. When I start it the light isnt there. Now question... when someone hooks up to your car with a computer you dont start your car... So that light is on does this mean there is still an issue?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I don't know about your vehicle but usually without being started an oil light is generally present because, well, the vehicle has no oil pressure when not running. You shouldn't be concerned unless its there when running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about your vehicle but usually without being started an oil light is generally present because, well, the vehicle has no oil pressure when not running. You shouldn't be concerned unless its there when running.
Its a check engine light. Not sure if that makes a difference

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
PJM22, I see you're getting a lot of DIY advice from owners, and I wanted to hop on this thread briefly to say I'm sorry to hear you've been having these continued concerns. I'm not sure if the repair shop you've been working with is a dealership, but please let me know if you are interested in working with a dealer at any point. I'm available to schedule an appointment for you or contact them to follow up for you! Feel free to send me a private message anytime for further assistance.

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The light is supposed to be on if the engine isn't running, that's fine. So you paid a bunch of money to this shop to fix the problem, and it's not fixed. Now it's up to them to fix it, you paid for it to be fixed, they have to do it.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
The light is supposed to be on if the engine isn't running, that's fine. So you paid a bunch of money to this shop to fix the problem, and it's not fixed. Now it's up to them to fix it, you paid for it to be fixed, they have to do it.
Very true! I would be angry as heck! The shop likely just hooked it up to an obd scanner, saw everything was ok, and did nothing. Boom $130 in their pocket for 5min worth of work which, wasn't work in the first place. This is the major problem with some shops now days which, is why I do most work myself.

Helpful suggestion: Anytime you have a check engine light or any dashboard light on that you think shouldn't be, bring it to AutoZone! Ask for a PCM/OBD/Computer Scan. They will do so for no charge. Then, explain your situation/problem and they will "most" likely tell you whats wrong or give their opinion. They don't get paid for their work therefor, they don't lie and try to get you to spend money on repairs because they don't want you coming back with the same issue and trying to return the parts. But, this goes both ways so, you kinda have to have an idea on whats going wrong. If you go into a shop and don't know much about cars they will nickle and dime you to death but, there are respectable and trustworthy shops you just have to find them. Now days with all the electronically controlled components, it is very easy for a shop/dealer to rip you off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts