Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me identify the source of an oil leak I have...

Having noticed oil on the driveway, I brought my car to a mechanic to determine the cause of a leak. He looked at it and said I have a leaking head gasket. No white smoke, no noticable moisture from the exhaust, oil looks normal, coolant looks normal, and the engine runs as well as it always has. All the typical signs of a head gasket leak are not there...

Vehicle has 106k miles on it. I crawled under the car to try and identify the source of the leak. If i start the car and let it run a couple minutes, oil leaks at about 1 drip per second from what appears to be under the oil filter. (loses about 1/2 quart per 1000 miles) The filter is wet with oil, as well as the entire bottom of the oil pan, though it doesn't appear to be leaking at the pan. I can also see a bolt directly adjacent to the top of the oil filter wet with oil. I believe that's the oil filter adapter.

As you know, the engine compartment is pretty tight, and I can't visually confirm oil is leaking at the head gasket. That, along with the absence of usual head gasket failure symptoms, has me perplexed. Hate to fork over $1,200 to replace the head gaskets if that's not really the cause!

If anyone has suggestions are hints, I would GREATLY appreciate some advice from more experienced and knowledgable folks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Cellemup, I see you're looking from DIY advice from other owners. So, I just wanted to let you know that getting a diagnosis from your dealer would be a great next step! I'm available via private message if you decide to involve your dealer at any point and would like further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's the gasket where the filter adaptor mates to the block, pretty common leak.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep, have one too in the same place. I'm going to fix it soon, not too bad right now. I hear it is not too tough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Katie, thanks for the response. Kingnutin, thanks also to you for your suggestion, looks like you were right....

I decided to change the oil filter adapter gasket last night. When I got the old gasket out, it virtually disintegrated in my hands! The rubber/neopreme portion of the gasket had pulled away from the metal frame of the gasket and broke apart to the touch. Pretty sure that was the major cause of the leak, as so far, the leak seems to be fixed!

For those who want to DIY, it's not a tough job as long as you take the time to "move" some of the surrounding components to gain better access. I removed a plastic shround located in the wheel well, loosened the compressor and re-positioned it (without disconnecting any lines), and loosened the front bumper air spoiler (underneath). Moving all these components was a pain, but helped me access the 3 bolts that hold the adapter to the block.

I'll post an update later to be sure the fix holds. Hopefully others who may have this problem will not be steered to a head gasket replacement if that's not truly the problem. $1200 to a mechanic vs. $16 gasket I changed myself!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Glad you got it! I have changed my fair share of those, thats the way I do it too. 77Impala apparently bent a wrench to fit the bolts without moving the compressor, so thats another way you can do it.

Reactions: stevie_nuvo

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is there a recommended part # from "Advanced Auto Parts" for this? I think this may be the solution to my problem also.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It was a $10 part from the dealer for me, part #12607947

·
Registered
90 Posts
just finished mine the other day. I only did it finally because the gasket blew and I started losing quarts at any given sitting. I did the stupid thing and kept trying to get at it from the bottom. After an hour I did as everyone else does and went through the side. Still a tough change but not a drop since, anywhere. At 165K I am still impressed with this car's longevity. Only little stuff, pumps, mounts, shocks, the usual stuff at it's age.

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
Thanks for the info guy I went to change my oil last night and discovered the same leak. I guess I have a job to do this weekend lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
just spent 800$ mechanic said it was pressure sending unit, wifes car so she took it in new plugs serpintine sendinf unit, but didnt notice the "big leak" so im doing it myself and that shop can pack sand

·
Registered
126 Posts
just spent 800$ mechanic said it was pressure sending unit, wifes car so she took it in new plugs serpintine sendinf unit, but didnt notice the "big leak" so im doing it myself and that shop can pack sand
Hardest part was removing the front air dam stuff so you can get to it. Took about an hour to replace the filter neck gasket with the removals. No leaks now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks a ton!

My 'pala has been leaking for a min, till recently started loosing way too much oil.

Thought it might have been an engine gasket, but now im thinking its this oil filter adapter gasket.

Just bought gasket, rep. Bolts, oil, filter, bout to have me some fun boys!!

Wish me luck!!

I know this thread is ancient, but will post pix!!

Dreamsofdaytona

·
Registered
41 Posts
DONE

finally fixed the leak on my impala, and indeed it was the oil filter adapter gasket. was about to suicide myself cause i couldnt figure out how to reach the third bolt,

MASSIVE THANKS TO THE GUY(S) WHO SAID TO JUST MOVE THE COMPRESSOR!!

once i loosened it, the compressor just slid outta the way, just loosen bolts almost to the tip, to give u max space.

swapped it, fresh oil, and shes running better than ever, one thing i def noticed, i think i was losing power in some way, she felt sluggish, unresponsive at times, now shes like new!!

highly recommend to change this part if you notice a leak, labor time is about 1.5-2 hrs if youre at it non stop.

DreamsOfDaytona

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, its been a while and this is only my second post (i think). We sold the 02 and bought an 06 LT with a 3.9L around a year ago with a 143k on the clock. Since then, we have put a little over 20k on it. It has been leaking a few drips here and there since we have owned it, but after a trip to Florida this past Dec, I have noticed that it is leaving puddles in the garage. It also appears to be leaking from just above the oil filter so looks like this weekend (or before we leave for KY for sure) I will be changing out this gasket (have the new one on my desk at work). Is it still necessary to remove all the plastic and move the compressor if I am doing the job on a lift? and does anyone know what the bolt torque is or should be? Thanks for the input, Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, its been a while and this is only my second post (i think). We sold the 02 and bought an 06 LT with a 3.9L around a year ago with a 143k on the clock. Since then, we have put a little over 20k on it. It has been leaking a few drips here and there since we have owned it, but after a trip to Florida this past Dec, I have noticed that it is leaving puddles in the garage. It also appears to be leaking from just above the oil filter so looks like this weekend (or before we leave for KY for sure) I will be changing out this gasket (have the new one on my desk at work). Is it still necessary to remove all the plastic and move the compressor if I am doing the job on a lift? and does anyone know what the bolt torque is or should be? Thanks for the input, Dave
i have the same car, 06 3.9 lt, got it with around the same miles, started leaking oil the same way brotha. all your gonna have to do is loosen the bolts on the compressor, do no remove them, just loosen to its limit, you will then be able to literally slide the compressor out of the way to reach the dreaded 3rd bolt on the oil filter adapter. i dont think its necessary to put car on lift, jacking it up and removing the wheel well should do the trick. once you zone in on what you gotta do, its a pretty easy fix, and trust me you will feel her ride different afterwards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
By looking at the new gasket, it looks like there is one bolt that could only need to be loosened? in order to install the new gasket (has a U where it appears a bolt should go through). Is that the bolt behind the compressor? I have a few wrenches that could be sacraficed like I have read others doing if that makes it any easier.

·
Registered
41 Posts
By looking at the new gasket, it looks like there is one bolt that could only need to be loosened? in order to install the new gasket (has a U where it appears a bolt should go through). Is that the bolt behind the compressor? I have a few wrenches that could be sacraficed like I have read others doing if that makes it any easier.
on the oil filter adapter itself, you will have to fully remove (2) of the bolts, the bolt where the gaskets u part goes, can be loosened, but left in place, and that is the dreaded third bolt, behind the compressor. Once you loosen the compressor and slide out of the way, you will be able to reach that bolt without any special tools, just a lil elbow grease. once you loosen it, the adapter will fall out almost, however it has a sensor attached to it, i didnt disconnect mine, just fixed it so it wont fall out while i cleaned the contact surfaces. replace the gasket and assemble back in order. Its been about 2 weeks since i swapped mine, and i have zero leaks!! that will be your problem brotha, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chev Impala Oil leak

My son has a 2008 Impala with an oil leak. I had the oil filter gasket replaced but it's still leaking. Any ideas what else it could be?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts