Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a mechanic that claims that they replaced the rack and pinion system on my car. Recently I found that some of the other work he claimed to have done wasn't done. Is there an easy way to check if a rack and pinion system has been replaced from standing next to the car? I don't have jack stands nor do I know much about auto mechanics. I just know that my power steering reservoir was completely empty earlier today and it happened quickly. I didn't have problems until I drove about 5 miles. Car doesn't get driven much.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I had a mechanic that claims that they replaced the rack and pinion system on my car. Recently I found that some of the other work he claimed to have done wasn't done. Is there an easy way to check if a rack and pinion system has been replaced from standing next to the car? I don't have jack stands nor do I know much about auto mechanics. I just know that my power steering reservoir was completely empty earlier today and it happened quickly. I didn't have problems until I drove about 5 miles. Car doesn't get driven much.

How long ago was the work done (or not done...)?

Take a strong flashlight, open the hood and look at the steering rack. Does it look “new”?

The state I live in requires the return of all replaced auto parts, unless the part is under warranty or is used as a rebuildable core - or hazardous fluids such as oil, antifreeze,etc. Does your state have this law?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was supposedly done about 8 weeks ago. I will check the steering rack that way.

No, the state doesn't require the return of of parts. :(

What made me think that he didn't do the work was I got the notorious "Engine Off AC Off" error. Took it to the mechanic. He claimed he replaced the thermostat. Came back. Replaced water pump, thermostat housing, thermostat and gasket, and radiator (had cracks in it or so they say). He previously replaced the transmission filter, right CV joint, temp sensor, timing chain, oil pan and a couple of other things such as brakes. (Can't remember what else he did at this moment.)

When I drove 1500 miles after the fix, I got the "Engine off AC off" came back. Took it to another mechanic. Stated that there was no thermostat and he doubted that radiator were actually replaced. He also had to replace the rear struts and left front brake caliper before I went home. He said he didn't think the brakes had been serviced in some time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts