Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...like it wants to slide or float? Here in Wisconsin, we've gotten plenty of snow this winter. When driving my Impala in the snow, it feels like the back of my car is floating or it wants to slide.

Has anyone else experienced this?

...I noticed that when turning my Traction Control off, it does a better job in the snow.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe what you are feeling is your traction control system kicking in? Do you see a little symbol flash when you feel this. if so, its probably your traction control system working. Test it out in an empty snowly lot or something. Be safe

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
As with the older cars you may need to add some weight to the trunk over the rear wheels to help hold the rear wheels to the road during these slippery condtions. Even with FWD cars need some extra weight in the trunk during snow or ice conditions. I have found about 50 pounds usually suffice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 chevy impala

I purchased a 2007 Chevy Impala LTZ and this weekend in the snow I could not control my car on the snowy roads. It feels like you are going to float and loose control and almost did. Very Scarey!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I purchased a 2007 Chevy Impala LTZ and this weekend in the snow I could not control my car on the snowy roads. It feels like you are going to float and loose control and almost did. Very Scarey!!
Thats why I am lucky that I live in a place where it gets below freezing only 3 or 4 times a year :biggrin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2007 Impala LTZ that does the same thing. Last winter the dealer did a four wheel alignment which took care of most of the problem. This winter it is still a little loose and they tell me that is the only known fix so I will take it in for another alignment and see how it goes this winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This past fall there was a documentary on TV about All season tires . They did some tests and guess what. There is no such thing as an "All Season Tire". They are 'really' 3 season tires. They've actually made it law in part of Canada that you have to have Winter tires in winter. I live in Canada , but not "that" part...... but the documentary was convincing , so I purchased 4 winter tires. HUGE difference! Push through the snow like it was a 4X4 (well almost) and it really grips the ice. Do yourself and your family a favour. Get some winter tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I had the stock Goodyear RSAs on my 08 SS, traction in snow sucked, I switched to Falken's even worse, luckily those tires had severe nail damage so with that I switched to kumho ecstas and I have to say it has been a complete night and day difference. Although its nothing like a 4x4, It still feels sure-footed in the snow. Granted some common sense plays into it as well, like manually downshifting instead of braking all at once to reduce sliding, an giving people space and not getting in a hurry. My girlfriend had a Toyota Camry, it was absolutely horrible in comparison. If it had traction control, I couldn't tell. She switched and bought an 06 LTZ after seeing the performance of mine in the snow and the "heaviness" as she puts it to the way it feels to her.

I do get the back end "float" feeling every once in a while, usually that's my queue to slow down. Her Toyota, seemed to float front and rear, and loved the shoulder, always slid that way until it caught deeper snow and then got "sucked" in deeper. Terrible snow performance. I was certainly glad that car was not mine.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I would be willing to bet those with the floating sensation need a 4 wheel alignment. And if they cant get it into spec, then something more. VERY common problem with 8th gen, as is uneven rear tire wear due to same.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would be willing to bet those with the floating sensation need a 4 wheel alignment. And if they cant get it into spec, then something more. VERY common problem with 8th gen, as is uneven rear tire wear due to same.
Yes, check here first. Had my spindle arms fixed on the 08 the other day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts