Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased a old police interceptor and the obd2 port is cut away.
Have a black, red, green, brown and brown with black stripe wires.
Can someone please tell me the pin locations.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Here's what I have for the pinout of the Data Link Connector (DLC) under the dash. Note that, for +12V, it lists RD/WH rather than simply ReD, like your wire is.

HTH.
Doug

Pin​
Color​
Ckt#​
Function​
1​
D-GN​
5060​
Low Speed GMLAN Serial Data​
2-3​
--​
--​
not used​
4​
BK​
1450​
Ground​
5​
BK/WH​
1551​
Ground​
6​
TN/BK​
2500​
High Speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus+​
7-13​
--​
--​
not used​
14​
TN​
2501​
High Speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus-​
15​
--​
--​
not used​
16​
RD/WH​
1840​
Battery Positive Voltage​

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What is commonly referred to as the OBD II or OBD 2 jack is actually called a J1962 jack after the SAE J1962 OBD II standard.
The Delphi Packard, now Aptive, part number for the jack is 12110250-B. Mouser Electronics stocks this jack for $1.05 plus shipping.
You'll need the $0.27 terminal position assurance latch bar as well. It's Delphi Part Number 12160437.
The J1962 jack uses Female Metripak 150 terminals. Probably 18ga or 20ga wire so the terminal number you're looking for is Delphi 12129484.

If you don't have the Delphi crimp tool I believe you can find "universal" solder and heatshrink J1962 jacks with pigtail wires.

There are $30 two step non ratcheting and $100 two step ratcheting crimp tools available. The two step tools crimp the conductor wings in the first step and then the insulation/seal wings in the second step. You have to move the terminal to the new slot for each step. This makes them into a Swiss army knife in my electrical toolbox. They're a heckuva lot more versatile than the single step tools that crimp both wings in one step and they cost a lot less money. I've crimped Deutsch DTM & DT open wing terminals, Molex GT, Metripak GT, 150, and 280, AMP Quadlok (VW AUDI), Weatherpak, Packard 56, and several other families on 14-20ga wires using the two tool types below. $220 for the pro level tools is a bargain for that versatility.

These are the $30ish non ratcheting tools. These are great for the weekend warrior but you'll tire of them quickly if you're building vehicle harnesses for your hot rod or restorations.
-Wide range wire and jacket wing crimp tool for unsealed and sealed connectors. This tool will not crimp the Weatherpak/Metripak/Molex-GT weather seals but it will crimp the conductor wings of those families and both wings of un-sealed terminals. https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-Five-cavity-Wide-range-Crimping/dp/B003MWJ6SA
-Wire and weather seal crimp tool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CCAEJ6

The two step Delphi ratcheting versions of the above are as follows. They cost roughly $110 each but you can position the terminal and ratchet the tool down and re-position the wire without loosing the jaw closure. They will not open til you have completed the crimp cycle or cammed the emergency release open. You can likely evilbay these for $95-$100 each if you decide you don't need em.
-Delphi 12085270 Weatherpak and Metripak 150/280 sealed terminals... Two seal and three conductor wing cavities.
-Delphi 12085271 Wide range crimper with five cavities for conductor and insulation strain relief crimp wings.
If you need to crimp Metripak 480 or 630 or Packard 59 terminals you need larger tools but those two will crimp 85-95% of what you're likely to encounter.

The proper terminal extractors are fairly cheap. I've seen sets of Weatherpak, Metripak 150, and Metripak 280 terminal picks for less than $15.

The Ideal Stripmaster or Klein Katapult you can find at Home Depot is a worthy addition to your toobox as well. It lets you strip wires clean and straight without nicking the conductors.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
What is commonly referred to as the OBD II or OBD 2 jack is actually called a J1962 jack after the SAE J1962 OBD II standard.
The Delphi Packard, now Aptive, part number for the jack is 12110250-B. Mouser Electronics stocks this jack for $1.05 plus shipping.
You'll need the $0.27 terminal position assurance latch bar as well. It's Delphi Part Number 12160437.
The J1962 jack uses Female Metripak 150 terminals. Probably 18ga or 20ga wire so the terminal number you're looking for is Delphi 12129484.

If you don't have the Delphi crimp tool I believe you can find "universal" solder and heatshrink J1962 jacks with pigtail wires.

There are $30 two step non ratcheting and $100 two step ratcheting crimp tools available. The two step tools crimp the conductor wings in the first step and then the insulation/seal wings in the second step. You have to move the terminal to the new slot for each step. This makes them into a Swiss army knife in my electrical toolbox. They're a heckuva lot more versatile than the single step tools that crimp both wings in one step and they cost a lot less money. I've crimped Deutsch DTM & DT open wing terminals, Molex GT, Metripak GT, 150, and 280, AMP Quadlok (VW AUDI), Weatherpak, Packard 56, and several other families on 14-20ga wires using the two tool types below. $220 for the pro level tools is a bargain for that versatility.

These are the $30ish non ratcheting tools. These are great for the weekend warrior but you'll tire of them quickly if you're building vehicle harnesses for your hot rod or restorations.
Wide range wire and jacket wing crimp tool for unsealed and sealed connectors. This tool will not crimp the weather seal but it will crimp the conductor wings. https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-Five-cavity-Wide-range-Crimping/dp/B003MWJ6SA
Wire and weather seal crimp tool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CCAEJ6

The two step Delphi ratcheting versions of the above are as follows. They cost roughly $110 each but you can position the terminal and ratchet the tool down and re-position the wire without loosing the jaw closure. They will not open til you have completed the crimp cycle or cammed the emergency release open. You can likely evilbay these for $95-$100 each if you decide you don't need em.
Delphi 12085270 Weatherpak and Metripak 150/280 sealed terminals... Two seal and three conductor wing cavities.
Delphi 12085271 Wide range crimper with five cavities for conductor and insulation strain relief crimp wings.
If you need to crimp Metripak 480 or 630 or Packard 59 terminals you need larger tools but those two will crimp 85-95% of what you're likely to encounter.

The proper terminal extractors are fairly cheap. I've seen sets of Weatherpak, Metripak 150, and Metripak 280 terminal picks for less than $15.

The Ideal Stripmaster or Klein Katapult you can find at Home Depot is a worthy addition to your toobox as well. It lets you strip wires clean and straight without nicking the conductors.
Great post, Hatzie. Very thorough.

These are excellent prices. For anyone who is interested, the details are seemingly daunting, but if you want some tools, it's worth the time to study this info.

I used to work for a military contractor, and we had a cabinet full of these kinds of tools for making wiring harnesses used with our black boxes. One crimper might be 200 bucks (in 1985 dollars) and the dies for it, to mate it to a particular terminal, might be another 200 bucks.

Anyway, if you're making cables, having the right crimping tools is a must, and the prices listed seem very reasonable.

Doug

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Great post, Hatzie. Very thorough.

These are excellent prices. For anyone who is interested, the details are seemingly daunting, but if you want some tools, it's worth the time to study this info.

I used to work for a military contractor, and we had a cabinet full of these kinds of tools for making wiring harnesses used with our black boxes. One crimper might be 200 bucks (in 1985 dollars) and the dies for it, to mate it to a particular terminal, might be another 200 bucks.

Anyway, if you're making cables, having the right crimping tools is a must, and the prices listed seem very reasonable.

Doug

Thanks

Those two Delphi tools are a real bargain for pro level tools. They're versatile enough I call em my Swiss Army Knife.
If you want an equally nice set of terminal extractors to travel with you can get the SIR Tools 9025 & 9024. The Lisle 57750 extractor hexagons are less money but they don't travel well. The Lisle set is what I'd put in my shop box if I didn't have the travel tools.

If you were working for a military Contractor you likely had Daniels AF8 & AFM8 tools or something similar for Mil spec Canon plugs and the like.
Nothing like those for crimping closed barrel terminals with eight indent crimps. I have a set I use for work with a handful of positioners. Pricey little buggers even on the used market. Daniels rebuilt and calibrated my used AF8 for around $160. New they're around $450 without positioners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Purchased a old police interceptor and the obd2 port is cut away.
Have a black, red, green, brown and brown with black stripe wires.
Can someone please tell me the pin locations.
Thank you View attachment 162347

Hello, I also have a 2007 Impala 9C1 police sedan and my connector is in tact. I am attaching a few pics to help you see what it should look like. Let me know if you would like anything more specific from mine (numbers, positions, more pics, etc.).

You probably already know, but fleet vehicles often times have monitoring devices (fuel, idle, location, speed, etc.) installed and they tend to connect them here. In my case, it was a plug, in your case, they may have cutoff your OEM connector and wired into their tracking device directly, then removed it for the auction; or they may have just needed the connector part for another vehicle and cut it off to take it...

I would guess you could buy a used one at a junk yard, cut it off further back so you get more cable length and then use good connectors/solder to install it on your car. I'm not a tech so don't just take my word on this. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts