Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought myself a 2007 Chevy impala with only 95,200 miles. Everything seemed fine when I bought it, but when I was almost home the screen on my dash showed low engine pressure stop engine while making a ding ding sound. ( not the engine lol) The car was running just fine, the gauges on the dash were normal and there wasn’t any noise coming from the front of the car. When I took it for a test drive when I got it it didn’t come on. But after buying it and headed home it did so I stopped and pulled over. I added a thing of oil in case it was low (since I just got the car I didn’t know if it was low possibly or not.) It still comes on though, I did notice in my driveway there was oil on the ground. Idk if that means anything but thought I’d mention that in this as well. I got on rockauto and found a new oil senor I could buy but I wanted to reach out on here first and see everyone’s opinion. I will also do an oil change tomorrow since idk how old or long the oil has been in there since there was only 2 owners before me and it only having 95200ish miles when I became the owner. Any advice and opinions would be great! I’m no mechanic but I’m a quick learner! If I can save myself money figuring it out myself with help from all of you instead of spending a couple hundred at a mechanic shop.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
So I just bought myself a 2007 Chevy impala with only 95,200 miles. Everything seemed fine when I bought it, but when I was almost home the screen on my dash showed low engine pressure stop engine while making a ding ding sound. ( not the engine lol) The car was running just fine, the gauges on the dash were normal and there wasn’t any noise coming from the front of the car. When I took it for a test drive when I got it it didn’t come on. But after buying it and headed home it did so I stopped and pulled over. I added a thing of oil in case it was low (since I just got the car I didn’t know if it was low possibly or not.) It still comes on though, I did notice in my driveway there was oil on the ground. Idk if that means anything but thought I’d mention that in this as well. I got on rockauto and found a new oil senor I could buy but I wanted to reach out on here first and see everyone’s opinion. I will also do an oil change tomorrow since idk how old or long the oil has been in there since there was only 2 owners before me and it only having 95200ish miles when I became the owner. Any advice and opinions would be great! I’m no mechanic but I’m a quick learner! If I can save myself money figuring it out myself with help from all of you instead of spending a couple hundred at a mechanic shop.

Never add oil to an engine unless it is needed. Overfilling an engine with oil can damage the engine.

If you see oil leaking - it will continue to leak. Identify the leak source and repair it. It is POSSIBLE that the oil pressure switch is leaking and/or the oil filter is not properly tightened.

Change the oil and use the proper viscosity (such as 5W30) and an oil that meets the GM specification.

Use an OEM ACDelco oil filter.

If the engine then shows low oil pressure - change the oil pressure sending unit (switch) - using an OEM ACDelco switch (unless leaking above and it you changed it first).

·
Registered
57 Posts
The oil pressure sending units are know to fail on our cars and they leak oil like crazy when they fail. Check that first. Might fix 2 problems with one repair.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never add oil to an engine unless it is needed. Overfilling an engine with oil can damage the engine.

If you see oil leaking - it will continue to leak. Identify the leak source and repair it. It is POSSIBLE that the oil pressure switch is leaking and/or the oil filter is not properly tightened.

Change the oil and use the proper viscosity (such as 5W30) and an oil that meets the GM specification.

Use an OEM ACDelco oil filter.

If the engine then shows low oil pressure - change the oil pressure sending unit (switch) - using an OEM ACDelco switch (unless leaking above and it you changed it first).
Thank you so so much for replying to this, like I said when it comes to cars as a female I am ignorant in this field I have more knowledge when it comes to medical stuff Lol.. So whether I get good criticism or bad or good opinions or bad or good advice or bad I’m accepting of all of it. Anything that I can do to help get this car working better I would greatly appreciate it. I’m gonna try to do the oil today myself drain it etc. Because I don’tKnow how long the oil that has been in it has sat etc. since I am only the third owner and it only has 95,000 miles on it. But I’m definitely gonna take you up on your advice and I will never again at oil also do a vehicle unless it’s proven to be extremely low. Any more helpful tips or advice I would greatly appreciate you guys thank you so so much for being so kind and reaching out!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Thank you so so much for replying to this, like I said when it comes to cars as a female I am ignorant in this field I have more knowledge when it comes to medical stuff Lol.. So whether I get good criticism or bad or good opinions or bad or good advice or bad I’m accepting of all of it. Anything that I can do to help get this car working better I would greatly appreciate it. I’m gonna try to do the oil today myself drain it etc. Because I don’tKnow how long the oil that has been in it has sat etc. since I am only the third owner and it only has 95,000 miles on it. But I’m definitely gonna take you up on your advice and I will never again at oil also do a vehicle unless it’s proven to be extremely low. Any more helpful tips or advice I would greatly appreciate you guys thank you so so much for being so kind and reaching out!

The oil pressure sending unit (called a switch in the part’s catalog) is removed and installed using a special oil pressure unit socket (not a standard socket), which are often sold at many auto part’s stores.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its probably your oil pressure switch located next to your oil filter housing. If you have an oil leak, that's probably the culprit. To be on the safe side, you can have a shop check your oil pressure with a gauge. I've changed out three of those things. A little advice, buy a GM switch. Not aftermarket.

·
Registered
09 LT 3.5 engine
24 Posts
I had one go on my 09..same problem..and the sender some is needed...if her oil filter is in same tight spot as mine she will need a "strap type" or cup style filer wrench...filter is in kind of a hole...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts