Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2007 Chevrolet Impala LT 3.5, are the tie RODS threaded on both ends or just the tie rod end?? Just trying to do a "string" alignment until I can get to the shop.

TIA
Arkie

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are threaded so that you turn them one way it pulls the wheel in, you turn it the other and it pushes the wheel out... Preferrably you want to turn both sides the same so the steering wheel is centered but that's not necessary other than for cosmetics, also I've been aligning my wheels by "eye" (same as string but without the string) for years and don't take it to the shop anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are threaded so that you turn them one way it pulls the wheel in, you turn it the other and it pushes the wheel out... Preferrably you want to turn both sides the same so the steering wheel is centered but that's not necessary other than for cosmetics, also I've been aligning my wheels by "eye" (same as string but without the string) for years and don't take it to the shop anymore.
Thanks sidemouse, I'm doing the same thing, that is, doing the alignments myself. Right now the car is tracking straight as an arrow without any pull either way so I know I'm close. The steering wheel is a little cocked to the right about an inch which is no biggie but it bugs the heck out of me so I'm going to adjust that out and forget the alignment shops.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks sidemouse, I'm doing the same thing, that is, doing the alignments myself. Right now the car is tracking straight as an arrow without any pull either way so I know I'm close. The steering wheel is a little cocked to the right about an inch which is no biggie but it bugs the heck out of me so I'm going to adjust that out and forget the alignment shops.
Yup, the only other thing I've learned to do is to inspect all four tires for wear about every 5,000 miles.
Make sure they're wearing evenly and all about the same.
Yes, it is possible the rears wear faster than the fronts or vice versa, also keep in mind a car can track straight while toe is off (too much toe in or toe out, however the "toe" is something you will feel in the steering - loose steering means too much toe out, tight steering means too much toe in (or maybe it's the other way around))...
Little things we learn, way I figure it, even if the tires wear a little prematurely it's still cheaper than paying for those alignments, just make sure to inspect them closely for wear about every 4-5k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts