Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased this 9C1 retired police car from my local Sheriff's office..

A/C worked great when I went to the Auction preview and it worked great on the drive home from the auction the next day. Now 4 days later when I hit the A/C button (snowflake) the light flashes 5 or 6 times and the A/C wont come on... Everything else works fine, blower in all speeds, it goes into all positions (floor, defrost, mix etc.) Temp setting works fine. Blows hot air in heat and ambient air when I move it to cold.
It just isn't engaging the compressor.

I've read that it's designed to not engage the compressor below 40 degrees ambient temp, but I'm in Florida. It was 79 today. Other causes I've found are low Freon... I put gauges on it and manually triggered the relay making it turn the compressor on and it shows its full. It also blew very cold as long as I jumped the relay.

It seems to be a control issue, however I am not sure where to start. I am going to go buy a new A/C transducer switch for it tomorrow and try that first and see what happens.

When I google the issue I found several videos on you tube and allot of others talking about their car doing it as well but no real posts or videos on a resolution.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and Nice looking ride...

With it being a X Police car, I would check all the Wiring connections for your car, This is the wiring going into the underhood fuse box and also in the inside of your car... Check all your grounds. At times when people take on the task of removing the Police equipment they mess up other things. At times it could be a bad ground, could be bad wires that look good but have broken wires inside the cover of the wire or bad at a connection from burning out...

Seems you know some about wiring, with being able to under stand Relay and where or how to jump one to turn on the items that it is meant to work... Problem is now that you know it can work, Need to track down the reason why it don't.. On the control side there is a Power and Ground to trigger the relay switch... However where people fall short at times is they use a Test light that really has 0 load and it can show that there is power or ground for the control side. However without having a load not that there is much of one to control a relay it could be enough of a power drop that the Relay won't work... So I would test the load for the Relay at both the +12v and the ground side of the control. However if you don't know how to test for Voltage drop, I would say look into picking up a Load Pro DMM testing leads. With it you can put on a control load of around 0.5A load to test for Voltage drop. If you are going to do a lot of wiring work it is very handy tool to own...

In the end, It could come out that you need a new underhood fuse block, Wouldn't be the first X-Police car that would...

James

·
Registered
2013 Impala LT
599 Posts
This may be obvious, but I would double check that you are not trying to activate the a/c with recirculate on when trying to use the defrost setting. I know the a/c will blink when you try to do that. You may have tried multiple positions already, but sometimes we forget the easy things.

If not this...I would figure out what the pressures are in your high pressure/low pressure lines. If low, try adding a can of refrigerant. This would indicate that you would have a leak somewhere though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum and Nice looking ride...

With it being a X Police car, I would check all the Wiring connections for your car, This is the wiring going into the underhood fuse box and also in the inside of your car... Check all your grounds. At times when people take on the task of removing the Police equipment they mess up other things. At times it could be a bad ground, could be bad wires that look good but have broken wires inside the cover of the wire or bad at a connection from burning out...

Seems you know some about wiring, with being able to under stand Relay and where or how to jump one to turn on the items that it is meant to work... Problem is now that you know it can work, Need to track down the reason why it don't.. On the control side there is a Power and Ground to trigger the relay switch... However where people fall short at times is they use a Test light that really has 0 load and it can show that there is power or ground for the control side. However without having a load not that there is much of one to control a relay it could be enough of a power drop that the Relay won't work... So I would test the load for the Relay at both the +12v and the ground side of the control. However if you don't know how to test for Voltage drop, I would say look into picking up a Load Pro DMM testing leads. With it you can put on a control load of around 0.5A load to test for Voltage drop. If you are going to do a lot of wiring work it is very handy tool to own...

In the end, It could come out that you need a new underhood fuse block, Wouldn't be the first X-Police car that would...

James
Thanks James

All the wiring is fine.... I am pretty anal about throughly checking things out before jumping online and asking... The Transducer was bad. I picked one up at AZ for $31 and installed it. A/C now works great...

This may be obvious, but I would double check that you are not trying to activate the a/c with recirculate on when trying to use the defrost setting. I know the a/c will blink when you try to do that. You may have tried multiple positions already, but sometimes we forget the easy things.
If not this...I would figure out what the pressures are in your high pressure/low pressure lines. If low, try adding a can of refrigerant. This would indicate that you would have a leak somewhere though.
Appreciate the reply,
I checked system fill before posting.... Its full. The A/C transducer failed. Replaced it and A/C works great again. Thanks!

Reactions: sheila
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.