Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Here's my issue. I have a 2006 Impala SS with 59,000 miles all stock. Two days ago driving back from work on the interstate (I live 75 miles from work) my SS got two message: Service Traction LOK, Service Throttle and then the engine shut itself down with ck eng light on, loss of all power functions and no acceleration. After pulling over, first few re-starts were unsuccessful. After about 5 mins the car was able to start again. Now this happen again the next day, same exact scenario with the exception that I was 15 mins closer to home. I leave at 6:30 am for work and the car does fine, it's the drive home and usually when I'm about 20-45 mins from home. After getting home I hooked up my Scan tool and one code I got was P0601. I cleaned my MAF sensor thinking that maybe it was a little dirty. Next day the car did the same thing.

I took it to the Chevy dealer and they state that my instrument cluster is bad and it could possibly cause the engine to shut down. OK, I don't know a whole lot about these newer computerized cars but I wouln't think the instrument cluster would cause the entire motor to shut off while driving. Anyway, I took the car home and removed the instrument cluster myself and I was still able to start the car and all appears well. OK so if an instrument cluster is causing the engine to turn off you would think that lack of an instrument cluster would definately cause the car not to start.

It took me a whole 10 mins to remove and cluster and the dealership was going to charge me a whole $210 for a new cluster, $54 for diagnostic, and $236 for labor. What a rip off! On and off took me only 30 mins tops and this was the first time doing it.

OK now after stating all that, I am reaching out to all you DIYers for help. I consider my self mechanically inclined and somewhat level headed so tell me if my theory is incorrect about the instrument cluster. What do you think is wrong. I looked up the P0601 and it states Intake Control Module. Now I would think that would most likely cause my issues. Any wise and knowledgable wrench turners out there?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Take your car to a different dealership. The P0601 "ENGINE CONTROL MODULE CHECKSUM ERROR" means that there is an internal error in the PCM - not the instrument cluster. As you well proved disconnecting the cluster had no effect on the engine running. The PCM will need either reprogramed or most likely replaced.

I would believe that the current dealer wants the warranty to expire (if you have the 60K warranty) before they replace the PCM and bill you for the high dollar part and outrageous labor.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Has there been any development on this yet? Im curious about what caused this issue.

Hope it is in process of getting resolved... best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted another dealership 2 hrs away and they sounded like they know what they are talking about, I also picked up a Haynes. It could either be the PCM or TCM or maybe the wiring harness. The mechanic says most likely a electrical problem. This appears to only happen when it's hot out, it doesn't happen in the early morning on the way to work just on the way home in the afternoon. I live in AZ and commute to Tucson from Sierra Vista (about 1 hr 45 min drive). I'm ready to drive this car off a cliff, it's sad to admit but I'm liking my 2001 Saleen Mustang more an more everyday, 9 yr old car and I push it hard and still drives the way she's meant to be driven...Hard!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
08' Chevy Impala SS "P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Malfunction" Code

Hey Guys,

Here's my issue. I have a 2006 Impala SS with 59,000 miles all stock. Two days ago driving back from work on the interstate (I live 75 miles from work) my SS got two message: Service Traction LOK, Service Throttle and then the engine shut itself down with ck eng light on, loss of all power functions and no acceleration. After pulling over, first few re-starts were unsuccessful. After about 5 mins the car was able to start again. Now this happen again the next day, same exact scenario with the exception that I was 15 mins closer to home. I leave at 6:30 am for work and the car does fine, it's the drive home and usually when I'm about 20-45 mins from home. After getting home I hooked up my Scan tool and one code I got was P0601. I cleaned my MAF sensor thinking that maybe it was a little dirty. Next day the car did the same thing.

I took it to the Chevy dealer and they state that my instrument cluster is bad and it could possibly cause the engine to shut down. OK, I don't know a whole lot about these newer computerized cars but I wouln't think the instrument cluster would cause the entire motor to shut off while driving. Anyway, I took the car home and removed the instrument cluster myself and I was still able to start the car and all appears well. OK so if an instrument cluster is causing the engine to turn off you would think that lack of an instrument cluster would definately cause the car not to start.

It took me a whole 10 mins to remove and cluster and the dealership was going to charge me a whole $210 for a new cluster, $54 for diagnostic, and $236 for labor. What a rip off! On and off took me only 30 mins tops and this was the first time doing it.

OK now after stating all that, I am reaching out to all you DIYers for help. I consider my self mechanically inclined and somewhat level headed so tell me if my theory is incorrect about the instrument cluster. What do you think is wrong. I looked up the P0601 and it states Intake Control Module. Now I would think that would most likely cause my issues. Any wise and knowledgable wrench turners out there?

Thanks in advance.
Same EXACT issue! I have an 08 Chevy Impala SS with about 95,000 miles on it. This issue has been happening for about the last 2 months, and came with a rough idle. Even to where I start the engine and can smell gas at stop lights (backfiring). Previously I had got P0501 misfire in cylinder 5, P0305 Throttle Position / Pedal Position Sensor. So I replaced fuel injector for cylinder, cleaned throttle body, changed plugs and wires, cleaned MAF and checked ignition coils- everything was good again. Until today, when I was stuck in traffic for about an hour, barely moving (5-15 mph all the way home) when my engine loss power and stalled on me. Luckily I had my code reader to get the code as soon as it happened (P0601 is what I got). Now again after about 5-10 minutes the car will crank back up as if nothing ever happened. However about 15 minutes later it did it again (still in traffic). The car wont stall on me unless 1) its hot out or I'm barely moving (engine works harder to cool) or 2) when I've been driving for longer than an hour. I'm convinced now its a electronic issue but want to make sure I replace the right stuff to fix it. I REALLY DONT want to take it to the dealership because I know they will rip me off.

Any advice would be helpful at this point.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Sounds like a faulty gas pedal sensor. Very common on these cars. Usually replacing the gas pedal assembly will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
What was the end result fix for these vehicles having these issues you guys posted here?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts