Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 06 SS vapor locking when I go over Vail pass in Colorado. It did it about a mile from Eisenhower tunnel on both sides of the mountain. It was 76 degrees outside. I took it back to Chevy because I am still under warranty but they said there was nothing wrong with it. Well there is something wrong with it but I don't know how they can figure it out with out taking it back up that mountain. Has anybody else had these issues??? What do I do with this?

·
Registered
557 Posts
you sure its vapor locked? I've never heard of a car just vapor locking while driving. Unless you drive through a deep puddle and it sucks in too much water. What does it do exactly? Can you crank it when it stalls? does it just click?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I have a problem with my 06 SS vapor locking when I go over Vail pass in Colorado. It did it about a mile from Eisenhower tunnel on both sides of the mountain. It was 76 degrees outside. I took it back to Chevy because I am still under warranty but they said there was nothing wrong with it. Well there is something wrong with it but I don't know how they can figure it out with out taking it back up that mountain. Has anybody else had these issues??? What do I do with this?

How did you come to the conclusion thats its "vapor lock"??????????????

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Unless you drive through a deep puddle and it sucks in too much water. What does it do exactly? Can you crank it when it stalls? does it just click?
That would be hydro-lock which can be a disaster. New cars with high pressure FP's ...like these really don't have a vapor lock issues.

Need a bit more info...could you have been on a steep incline and running on empty?....Seen that happen before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi, Thanks for replying. We own a automotive repair shop, my husband has been a mechanic for over 25 years and has never seen anything like it. It was not really steep but it is about as high up in altitude as you can get. The tank was almost full each way. We did some diagnostics on it before we went to Chevy, the fuel pressure and everything looked good. I know it wasn't the gas. It could be the injectors but, the car only has 14,500 miles on it. They shouldn't be having trouble either. It puttered out and stalled like it wasn't getting enough gas. We had to park for about 20 min each way and then it ran like a dream. It still runs like a dream, but I am afraid to try to take it over that mountain again. My husband said he opened the fuel pressure port/ shrater valve (sp?) and nothing but air came out for awhile but the gas did eventually. We tried cooling the gas lines with cold water bottles and have covered the lines since we got it back from Chevy.

Yes, it was cranking when it stalled but would not start. I did call On-Star and they said the car seemed to be running fine, while we were stalling out. LOL!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006 Impala SS going over Tioga Pass in Yosemite nation park. The elevation was around 8000 feet when it stalled. Let it set for a couple of min. and it started and would run for about a min. or two - stop again. I was towed down to Lee Vining, Calif. and taken to a shop in Mammoth, Calif. The car ran fine at that elevation (about 5000 feet). The shop could not find any codes - no problems!!?? I drove it to Lake Tahoe and back home over the pass on Hwy. 50, elevation about 7400 feet. Ran good all the way - no engine stalls. GM dealer in Clovis, Calif. checked it out, no codes, no problem, no answers!! Do you still have the car? Has it happened again? I would like some info on this if anyone can help. Thanks, TJ (Clovis, Calif.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
never heard of any vapor lock, on our cars !! now if you had an old ford flathead ,they have that problem..rkvette

·
Registered
20 Posts
rkvette - I am not calling it a "vapor lock"! It's a problem centered around high elevation, above 7800 feet. My car and sandinkelly's experienced the same problem. I am tempeted to take it up to Tioga pass again and see what happens! Something is causing it - GM will never find the problem because there is "no" problem according to their "codes"!! TJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts