Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've posted this problem in here before but I have a question. My tranny slips maybe once or twice a week in 1st gear just for a second. I visited my local tranny shop and he wants to do a complete overhaul for about $1800.00 bucks. Probably not a bad price and he is good at what he does. Anyway, he asked me to drive it a little longer and pull it manually into 1st gear when I start out and let him know if it slips or not. It never slips if I manually pull it back to 1st but of course it's a pain to have to upshift it by hand. It actually feels smoother when I do this. Anyone know what the difference might be by doing this? I would think 1st gear is the same whether I shift it or it shifts itself when in drive. Trying to figure out why he asked me to do this. Yes I know, I can just ask him, but sometimes I like to stay ahead of the game. Thanks

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
I thought there is a pressure difference between auto and manual mode, but we have some trans gurus on here hopefully one will lets us know.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not a popular answer, but I would ignore it. If your in for a total rebuild anyway, what is the risk? Additives are not always good, but a few do work.

My 2000 Impala started this at 80,000 miles. We have done nothing, it now has 222,000 miles. It does it less now, but we don't coax it hard from a dead stop either. I've noticed my 2008 LT 3.9 do it once or twice, but not going to rebuild anything until it stops. I may use a bit of additive if it gets worse, and it will probably fix it.

Ironically, it started after I changed the fluid. Guess there was more "sticky" in the old stuff, which is what a bit of Lucas or something can do. I'm NOT recommending this for you over an overhaul, but hey...

I guess if your really bothered, then by the time you pull the tranny, most folks just replace everything as the labor cost to get it out is the issue, but with reasonable miles (WHAT IS THE MILEAGE?), I don't suppose the clutches and steels are terribly worn, but it is a pressure or converter issue.

Will watch this thread to figure what is really wrong, and perhaps learn something. At this time, mine will not be serviced. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a licensed mechanic (aviation) for over 50 years, but know very little about trannys. I did have the filter replaced and the small amount of fluid replced that leaks out when then pan is off. I listened to you guys and did NOT do a flush. My car has 84,000 miles. Being a used car, I'm not sure if anything had ever been done before. It seemed to get better fo awhile anyway. I did add 12 or 16 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil. I checked the Marvel website for how much I could put in and of course I was carfull not to overfill it. That seemed to help also. I'm wondering if I have a bad solonoid. That's what I was hoping to hear from you guys. I'm not planning to overhaul it unless it gets much worse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes,this is a common problem for newer Impalas as mine(2007) also will do this too. Mine will be a hard jerk shift from 1st to 2nd from a stop. I now take very easy on the pedal from a stop. Your mechanic is right about shifting manually through the gears, as this will work too. I think it helps with the pressure for shifting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Flyboyray1 try this, instead of shifting to drive from a dead stop shift the car to 3rd gear instead. This works alot better than going manually through all the gears on my car and there is not a hard jerking shift from first to second. Then when I get to highway speed I only have shift to drive. And when I have to come to a stop, I simply down shift to 3rd gear. No hard first to second shift using this approach.:beer:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Flyboyray1 try this, instead of shifting to drive from a dead stop shift the car to 3rd gear instead. This works alot better than going manually through all the gears on my car and there is not a hard jerking shift from first to second. Then when I get to highway speed I only have shift to drive. And when I have to come to a stop, I simply down shift to 3rd gear. No hard first to second shift using this approach.:beer:
I always use 3rd gear for road driving and leave D for highways. The car maintains more power now and doesn't keep switching from 3rd to 4th gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts