Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 Impala SS with about 20,000 miles on it. The car performs well except for the tires when on wet roads. The car has the original 235 50R 18 tires and they have excellent tread left but they cannot grip a wet road at all, in fact they are very scarey when you touch the gas pedal on a wet road. Does anyone know of a tire this size that performs well on this car while on wet roads?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
It depends in part as to which part of the country your are in. Down in the souther states you may want Goodyear type that have the water shedding groves. If you are up north where is snows more than a week during the entire year then you will want some all weather type tires.

If your tires are factory original then they are about 2/3rds used up and at that point the car will starting to be squirly on wet roads.

·
Registered
624 Posts
+1 where u live,ive got the fuzion tires the mfg states not use in freezing tempetures and for sure no snow,i didnt drive her only a few good days during the winter spell

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 Impala SS with about 20,000 miles on it. The car performs well except for the tires when on wet roads. The car has the original 235 50R 18 tires and they have excellent tread left but they cannot grip a wet road at all, in fact they are very scarey when you touch the gas pedal on a wet road. Does anyone know of a tire this size that performs well on this car while on wet roads?

I bought new front tires on my 04 impala SS there called Goodyear-Assurance TripleTred (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=355HR7ATT&fromCompare1=yes&place=8&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H) works well in the rain as you can tell by the tread but even with those tires im still iffy in rainy condition... then for the winter I bought Firestone Winterforce(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=355SR7FWF&fromCompare1=yes&place=6&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H) and work pretty well in snowy weather here in Massachusetts....hopes that help!

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
If you folks are looking for a dedicated "rain/water" type tire tread, look up a tire called "Aqua tread" we get very little rain here but when we do it floods, so the geeks at goodyear sell our unskilled driving population hundreds of the aqua tread tire which was made just for rainy conditions so they claim.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If you folks are looking for a dedicated "rain/water" type tire tread, look up a tire called "Aqua tread" we get very little rain here but when we do it floods, so the geeks at goodyear sell our unskilled driving population hundreds of the aqua tread tire which was made just for rainy conditions so they claim.
Have those seemed to help with the unskilled drivers?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
not sure if it helps the morons or not but when I test drive a car with them it seems to better than without that type....I just dont see a point in buying them since those tires would not get much use for the money out here. Besides, I enjoy breaking the car loose and going straight while the car is sideways from time to time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts