Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been told its a shift solenoid issue.
The button on my shifter won't go down to allow me to change gears.
I have been told GM does not have manual override buttons but I might be able to take the panel that is around the bottom of the shift stick off and use a screw driver to shift gears. My stupid car is presently stuck in hannaford parking lot in park.

Any ideas how to get to the shift solenoid? How to fix the problem myself? Or if I have to take it to a shop (not sure how since it is stuck in park) then how much it will cost to do that.

Also, I have read that to get to the shift solenoid you need to drop the trans pan. Im not super familiar with cars, I know this is underneath the car, but is there someone or a website that could help show/tell me how to do that if that is indeed what I need to do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is a wiring harness what do I do about that? Is that something I can fix or will I need to figure out a way to get it towed? I'm not sure how I am going to get it towed since it is in Park, and you cannot approach it from the front due to the nature of the parking spot.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i dont know, did you take the console apart and look at the harness yet? getting eyes on will help you talk to your dealer and see if its covered under warranty and what now. as for the parking spot, most good tow truck operators can get you out of anywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stuck in Park

i dont know, did you take the console apart and look at the harness yet? getting eyes on will help you talk to your dealer and see if its covered under warranty and what now. as for the parking spot, most good tow truck operators can get you out of anywhere.
I have been told its a shift solenoid issue.
The button on my shifter won't go down to allow me to change gears.
I have been told GM does not have manual override buttons but I might be able to take the panel that is around the bottom of the shift stick off and use a screw driver to shift gears. My stupid car is presently stuck in hannaford parking lot in park.

Any ideas how to get to the shift solenoid? How to fix the problem myself? Or if I have to take it to a shop (not sure how since it is stuck in park) then how much it will cost to do that.

Also, I have read that to get to the shift solenoid you need to drop the trans pan. Im not super familiar with cars, I know this is underneath the car, but is there someone or a website that could help show/tell me how to do that if that is indeed what I need to do?
This is the second time this has happened. I paid $100 deductible the first time, I know this must be very simple issue. Last night I took apart my center console and was able to find a small silver button/depressor which enabled me to get it out of gear. Therefore, worst case, you won't be stuck in a place or stranded on a dark road somewhere.
I don't think it's the solenoid, that's down in the gearing, but a small disconnect at the base of the stick on the interior of the car. Though I haven't been able to solve the problem completely, I at least feel like I can control it when it happens again. Inconvenient but one of the reasons why they discontinue various models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2006 Impala stuck in park have taken the console out and found the release button. I have inspected the wires and don't see a beak or an issue? Can't seem to figure out how to pull the harness plug is there a trick? also have seen on youtube where they cut and slice extra wire on without removing the harness plug? any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Welcome to the forum first off.

I think that there is a small tab that you have to lift in order to get the plug apart.
That being said.
If your not seeing any breaks in the wire there, then I suggest that perhaps the problem may be with the brake switch not supplying the power to this solenoid. If you can back probe the connector with a test light and then step on the brake pedal to see that you have power going there that may help. If you do have power and you see no breaks in the wiring then perhaps that solenoid has died.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts