Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 06 impala ss and while replacing a bad alternator I disconnected the battery. When the job was done and battery reconnected the odometer reads error. Anybody had the same problem and know the fix?

Also there is a good amount of steering wheel play, maybe like 3 inches or so. When I had tires put on the car I had an alignment done and asked them to check front end parts and they said it was good. somebody is telling me its the rack and pinion, but its expensive and want to make sure that's the problem before spending the money.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Not sure what you can do about the odometer/cluster issue. As far as the front end and steering wheel play, you can check the front end out yourself and see what is going on. The shop that did the alignment should have checked the front end out and not did the alignment of any parts were worn. Too much wheel free play could be a worn steering rack, but you need to check out the tie rods, strut mounts and steering shafts to make sure all is good before condemning the rack. Any noise coming from it or weird steering feel?

·
Registered
625 Posts
The odometer will display 'error' if an internal IPC memory failure is detected.*The only fix that I'm aware of is to replace the IPC. A temporary fix may be to disconnect the battery for several minutes and reconnect and hope that the test that is run when the battery is reconnected passes.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts