Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Impala SS, I have a K&N intake, a Predator Tune on it already, but I am wanting to put an exhaust, but the only kit sold for it is the magnaflow. I heard they dont sound too good on this car, so I was wondering if anyone can point me in a good direction for a good exhaust setup on these cars. I was just going to put flowmaster 44's in place of the factory mufflers. But I want the best sound I can.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I put the flowmaster 44's on it then put 3.5'' Gibson exhaust tips with it and it sounds great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Matt

Hello I am new here . I bought a 2008 chevy Impala SS with a 5.3L. I am having trouble getting it to pass the emmisions test in Holland (EU) everytime it shifts into passing gear, when excelerated the exhaust decimiles are too high and it will not pass the test. Does anyone have a suggestion?:confused:

Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hello I am new here . I bought a 2008 chevy Impala SS with a 5.3L. I am having trouble getting it to pass the emmisions test in Holland (EU) everytime it shifts into passing gear, when excelerated the exhaust decimiles are too high and it will not pass the test. Does anyone have a suggestion?:confused:

Thanks to anyone who can help.
add another cat? you driving it for a while before testing it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exhaust answers

The only company out there right now that offers headers for 06 and up SS impala and monte carlo is Doug Thorley Headers. They have a complete shory header kit with the crossover pipe. Its only offered in ceramic coating. The kit runs about $960. http://dougthorleyheaders.com/products/sfID1/9/productID/1052

As for the earlier exhaust kit question......Magnaflow is the only company that offers an exhaust kit for an 06+ impala SS. i have attempted to contact Borla, Corsa, and Flowmaster to see if they offered a bolt on kit and the response from all 3 was "we are currently working on building a kit and we will email you when one goes into production". basically if you dont want to spend the $700 on the magnaflow kit i would recommend building your own. 2.5" with twin 44's is a good combo but if you want a nice load muscle car sound go for 3" exhaust and twin 44's. if cheaper is what you want, then keep the stock exhaust and install a 2.5"-3" electronic exhaust cut-out which runs about $200-$220. i have done all of the above on a few LS4's and they ALL sound awesome. hopefully i helped a little lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
which of these flowmasters are smaller ? my reason for this is ,our large muffers that come stock on our ss impalas look stupid, large hanging down !! my question is b/c maybe they will fit up there higher !, less hang down/ and look and sound better ??

·
Registered
142 Posts
where did you install the electric cutout ? before cat ? [pictures !! ] good spot, so dont melt anthing ? [ some corvette guy melted a part of plastic spring ,on a road course ] ! does it close perfect /no leaks or rattles ? seems might give more power ?, did it put a light on for emissions ? brand name from who ? size ? sorry to ask so many questions ,but dont want to cut any exhaust pipe in my $30,000 [plus ] impala ss v8 , when it was new.. rkvette

·
Registered
7 Posts
no no completely understandable. i forget the name of the cut out that i did for some kid in my area but i installed it before the bend in the back before the pipe splits, ran the wires up into the center consol and wired it to a toggle switch. the install was done about 3 months ago. no lights were triggered, sounds awesome, and no leaks. as for the flowmaster mufflers, your best bet is the super 44. puts out a nice sound and its on the smaller side almost compact. the only problem your going to hit is the hanger bracket. on the stock exhaust the rear hanger brackets are welded to the mufflers so you will have to rig something up. you can get the mufflers up tight to the floor with a few elbows. a guy in my car club did that to his ss monte and it seems to be working out for him

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you go on flowmasters website they should have the dementions for all mufflers offered. and as for wondering how it sounds? youtube is your best friend lol

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hey man headers? http://dougthorleyheaders.com/products/searchType/vehicleSearch/year/2006/make/CHEVY/model/IMPALA%20SS/sfID1/9 Doug Thorley makes them you can google him if you don't want to click on the link. But make sure u call them to verify because www.wundercarparts.com has it listed as a different model number. Awesome prices at undercar btw.
Im pretty sure that the ones on Wundercarparts are NOT the correct ones. If you want Doug Thorley Headers, then contact Doug Thorley Headers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
QTEC Cutout mod

Check my profile for my QTEC Cutout mod. It's been a blast for me with little to no maintenance living in the Chicagoland area : )

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well I put the flowmaster 44's on it then put 3.5'' Gibson exhaust tips with it and it sounds great.
Those 44's are 2.5" and fit nice underneath the car? Where did you get the entire setup?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
What is a QTEC Cutout Mod?? i Just bought a 06 impala SS and wanna get new exhaust, Skool me on your setup (Soundsmith) please!
Its basiacally a flange that you can install anywhere on the exhaust that opens when you press a button, so you effectivley bypass a portion of your exhaust. You could dump out your exhaust before the Cat, which of course would sound beastly. Then, when your eardrums start bleeding, or your ass goes numb from interior vibration, you can press a button, close the cutout and have stock exhaust sound again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought some flowmaster 40 series and I'm pretty satified with em they're 2.25" in/out they sound pretty mean I'm prolly goin put some 3" flowmaster tips on her soon

·
SadiStic Impala
2,457 Posts
I got 4" super 44s. Sounds amazing. I get nothing but compliments. Next is a cutout.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts