Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Hi, I bought 2006 LTZ with 3.9 blown engine (no history) replaced engine with nice 50K. Runs great...temp gauge goes to middle (stays there) radiator fans turn on and then stay on until off with key and cool down..does not overheat. new AC Delco thermostat and water pump. no codes or trouble faults. Don't want this engine to fail because of this....not a normal fan cycle..once they turn on (and it is too soon) one click above middle on gauge they stay on temp on gauge does not move but fans continue to run and run driving steady
40 degree weather 10-20-30 miles without stopping fans continue running. When I get home fans still running but engine is not overheating. Upper radiator hose 190 degrees with contact thermometer. Good flow in radiator and system bled of air
fans thermostat working checked with meter..... pulled fuse for fans and fans goes off...I read in some GM forum engine thermostat could be stuck open and fools engine management because timed cycle to reach normal operational temp not reached"

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Likely a CTS (coolant temp sensor) giving false readings to the pcm. This induces a "false positive" and throws your car into a "fail safe" mode therfor, throwing your fans into full blast all the time. Or, could possibly be a relay problem. Not familiar with 8th gens so, others may have different opinions/experience. But, this is mine.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I have had that happen on an 8th gen, but usually there is a warning on the DIC about the engine being hot. But, nobody has ever blown an engine by not letting it overheat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts