Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am trying to help a young friend who just purchased a 2006 Impala with 130,000 miles.

All dash gauges worked fine for first couple days - except erratic speedometer. Shortly after we changed the gas pedal and heater blend door motor, all the dash gauges went dead.

The dash lights still work. If we disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, the gauges all work fine until after you turn the key off. After that, they die again and stay dead unless you unhook battery.

Any thoughts on how to fix? I know speedometers have issues in these cars, but the other gauges work fine (when they work).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am not 100% sure what the problem is, But if it was my car here is a few things that I would do to try and find the problem...

First, I would check all the grounds out under the hood and in the car on the drivers side. Make sure there is no broken wires, loose conections or corrosion on the grounds.
Second, There are 2 fuses under the hood that control the cluster. Both are 10amp fuses and one is called Display second one is called Airbag/display (This is the one that runs the stepper motors for gauges). I would remove them both to see if it resets like it does when you take the battery wire off..

Controls for the cluster is ran by the 2 powers that I mention above, grounds, and the ECM over a GMLAN High speed data link.

Not much to work with but something to look over

James

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
First, I would check all the grounds out under the hood and in the car on the drivers side. Make sure there is no broken wires, loose connections or corrosion on the grounds.
I'm with James. I would look for a ground issue. With the gas pedal and heater blend door motor work, perhaps one of the under dash grounds got left disconnected.

Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.