Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I live in florida where it is about 95 degrees everyday here so my A/C is a must.

Today while driving my a/c was working fine one minute, then the next its blowing hot air. When i got to a light i turned the air off and then back on noticed the compressor wasnt kicking. I got home and noticed the air compressor fuse was blown. I replaced it and it then it worked fine for about another 2 minutes until it blew out again.

I then replaced the a/c compressor relay (the bigger fuse on top of the 10A fuse i replaced earlier) and it worked for a few minutes until the 10A fuse blew out again.

Has anyone had this problem? I dont want to think its the compressor going bad because if i replace the fuse it kicks right on.

Also i purchased an A/C charge kit because maybe the pressure is too low and MAYBE that is causing the fuse to keep blowing........BUT I CANT FIND THE LOW PRESSURE VALVE!!!

someone help!! lol THanks!!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You have a short somewhere. Check the wiring for any breaks. I have seen the compressor pigtail corrode in the past on different cars.

Also, sorry that i cant check myself since I dont have the Impala anymore, but make sure that you replaced the fuse with the correct one. You mentioned 10A.. just make sure thats what was supposed to have been there in the first place. Using the wrong fuse can also cause it to blow.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If the fuse is the correct amp rating then you may have a compressor clutch going bad and over drawing the current causing the fuse to blow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The 10A fuse is the correct one......ill check the compressor pigtail today and i hope that is the problem. I dont want to have to replace the compressor...

Also does anyone know where the low pressure valve is located to recharge the a/c?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post, but this exact thing started happening to me today. Can anyone explain how to check the compressor pigtail or the compressor clutch?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. I replaced the Alternator after finding it was putting out a low voltage (It checked bad on a separate tester as well). After this it worked okay for about 20 minutes then blew the A/C fuse again. What did you guys do to fix the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A/C Compressor

If the fuse is blowing and it is a 10A, the clutch is most likely going bad. Check the wiring on the compressor itself, and the wiring to the compressor. Replace is necessary. If not, the you have two options: replace the clutch or replace the entire compressor. Replacing the clutch is the less expensive but probably the more difficult of the two. Get an A/C clutch removal tool kit from any hardware store. Leave the compressor on the car (learned from experience), pull the clutch, replace with new. If the air still isn't cold, replace the compressor. I'm not saying I'm a mechanic or an A/C service tech, but my A/C is now blowing cold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2008 Impala. Replaced the compressor clutch. Ran fine for about 5 minutes, then blew the 10 amp fuse under the relay. Replaced the fuse. Same result. I have always believed that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So......what is the opinion of the fine folks on the forum?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where is diode?

Do you have a wiring diagram to show me where that diode is? I hope I do not have to replace the compressor, because it will blow cold for a few minutes before the fuse lays down.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Do you have a wiring diagram to show me where that diode is? I hope I do not have to replace the compressor, because it will blow cold for a few minutes before the fuse lays down.
The diode should be built into the clutch, altho the 2008 drawing doesn't show it. But my 2005 drawing does show it.

In this circuit, I doubt a missing diode will cause the fuse to blow, but it is possible. Most likely, a missing diode will cause the relay contacts to arc over when the relay is opening (ie, when the compressor cycles off). The result will be premature failure of the relay - over time its contacts will carbon over.

Anyway, even tho it's not shown, I'm pretty sure there's (supposed to be) a reverse biased diode across the clutch. That's a pretty standard feature on any coil that gets switched on and off (except for the coils where a high voltage spike is desired, such as in an ignition coil).

Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK EVERYONE! TRUST ME!! it isn't your compressor nor your clutch. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR FUSE BOX; They are very Vulnerable. I've Replaced New AC COMPRESSORS twice (Hoping the new one is defected) with entire AC kit and fuse keeps blowing. This Fkn Cars are a Headache. I've sold over 30 impalas over last 3 years period and 3 out of 3 have Actuator Problems and AC Shorts and Not to mention the Fuse Box, Which is the most vulnerable in these models. I Currently have 3 Vehicles with this problems. 06 Monte Carlo, 07 and 08 Impalas Still unable to figure out the problem. Currently awaiting on parts. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had the same problem with my a/c fuse,
after some minor troubleshooting, i narrowed it down to the clutch coil.

ordered a new one, an checked its resistance right out of the box,
it ohm'ed out at 3.6 ohms

the original read 2.4ohms.

im guessing the insulation on the windings are just deteriorating, the reason why its not a dead short.

the old clutch looked like it was swelling somewhat.......
long story short, Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-4982 GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Compressor Clutch Kit: Automotive

good as new

1 - 20 of 21 Posts