Impala Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread is very helpful, except for the lack of part numbers. I have been looking on-line for a bit and cannot find the evap vent solenoid (at the gas cap) for my 2006 Impala SS. Anybody help with this p/n?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced mine today...took about 30 min or so...very easy job. I went to both NAPA and CarQuest and both places could find the part, but when they went to order it, the order page showed up blank meaning the part wasn't able to be ordered by them. Neither knew why that was. I just went to the nearest GM dealer parts dept. and bought it there. It comes as a whole kit now - solenoid and bracket and tube all in one. It cost me $65, but they had it in stock. Ask for the EVAP vapor vent solenoid (or some variation of those words). As long as it's the part that install next to the gas filler tube, it's the correct part. I can't find my receipt otherwise I'd give you the p/n.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
07 part numbers

Great thread, anyway I have an 07 impala code po455. After reading through it seemed simple so I checked the solenoid and found it loaded with
dirt and rust crap from it's location behind the fenderwell. I tested it found it was getting 12 vdc. The solenoid itself didn't move unless it was banged around abit. So off to the dealer I went. Install to easy.
2007 impala lt 3.5 flex
Part numbers are
ACD 214-2106

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the same problem but the discussions are a bit confusing. I'm seeing 2 different parts being mentioned interchangedly - the 2 parts are the EVAP Purge Solenoid (Part No 214-2106 for 2007 Impala) and the EVAP Cannister Vent Solenoid (Part 214-1473). I've found the EVAP Purge Solenoid as it's quite large - but can't find the Vent Solenoid - which is quite a bit smaller. Any idea where it's located?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
On the engine, it usually has a single bolt holding it to the upper intake somewhere near the throttle body.

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
Thanks for this thread!

I was getting a P0422 and P0455 code on my 3.5 2008 LT when I had it tested at the parts shop. I read this thread and decided I could probably replace the vent solenoid or the puge valve for the price of a shop to even just look at it. I had already replaced the gas cap the 1st time I got this code. It came back about a week after I replaced it. Decided to change the vent solenoid behind the gas cap next. My guy didn't even need to take the wheel off. Just jacked it up and had it out and the new one in less than 20 min. I think it took him longer to get to the battery post to disconnect. :giggle: Matter of fact a little too easy; think I could have changed it myself. Had it installed on Sat. 5/19/12 and no check engine light to date. Remote start is back again and I appreciate that especially since its getting warmer outside. Hopefully this takes care of the issue. I'll give it a week and then I'll update you guys.

Part No. for the 2008 3.5L
ACDELCO OE SERVICE 214-2106 Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid

Found it on ebay for $36 free shipping with a 1yr warranty. Autozone.com wanted $70 for the Duralast version, but it came with a 2yr warranty.

Thank to everyone on this thread.:eek:k3: Hope it helps out other owners in the future.
:beer:

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Glad you found this thread helpful, asilkygo30. I appreciate you taking the time to provide the community with insight into your particular concern and resolution!

I look forward to your updates, and please don't hesitate to contact me via direct message if you have additional questions in the meantime.

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
Week Update

Glad you found this thread helpful, asilkygo30. I appreciate you taking the time to provide the community with insight into your particular concern and resolution!

I look forward to your updates, and please don't hesitate to contact me via direct message if you have additional questions in the meantime.

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service
Well it has been exactly 1 week since I changed the solenoid and I'm glad to report that my check engine light has not come back on and the problem has been fixed. :yahoo: My gas mileage has even gone up from 21-22 HWMPG to 24 HWMPG, which I and my gas tank really appreciate. My daily commute to work was avg about a 1/4 or more tank of gas and now its slightly under a 1/4 tank. May not sound like much but every little bit helps.:eek:k3: Especially when you avg a 100 miles daily.
Once again I would like to thank everyone on this forum for providing it with such good insight.
Have a happy and safe holiday weekend everybody. :beer:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this even worth fixing? My 2008 LS w/134k miles has started throwing up the CEL off and on lately and even gave me the "Tighten Gas Cap" message on the dash once. I haven't had the code actually checked but it most certainly is the same issue as everyone else. I've just been pretty much ignoring it for the time being and disconnecting the battery briefly when it annoys me too much just to clear it for a few days.

So just wondering if I should bother getting it fixed (or try it myself).

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well, if you emissions exempt you can get away with ignoring it. But if you aren't, you will have to fix it, or you will never pass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I changed my gas cap, and that didn't work, so I am going to try to order the EVAP solenoid, this week, and try to change it this weekend on my 2006 Impala

·
Registered
9 Posts
P0455 problem Fixed!

Well, after hearing some of the items my problem could have been, I finally took a look at the solenoid vent valve behind the gas cap. This is accessed from underneath the car, or more accessable, behind the plastic shrowd in the left rear well well. I was replacing brake pads and pulled a few clips and a screw to pull this back out of the way and the solenoid is right there.

First I disconnected the wire connector and it's a 12VDC 2-conductor (red/black) connector. I put a meter on it and turned the ignition over (not starting) to see if I got 12VDC. The computer cycles the solenoid upon start to initiate a leak check on the evap system. Well, I had the 12VDC I needed, so that eliminated half of the check. So, then I disconnected the actual valve from the bracket. The valve itself consists of two pieces. One is a filter housing and the other is the actual solenoid. You can actually disconnect the solenoid from the housing by lifting a plastic locking tab that locks the solenoid the the filter housing and then rotating the solenoid from the housing 90-degrees (1/4 turn connection), it will pull out. The nipple from the solenoid has a green o-ring on it.

Then I took a couple of wire leads I had made up and connected them to the battery just to see if the solenoid cycled. I don't think it really matters with a solenoid but you may want to be sure to connect the positive lead to the proper pin. You have to look at the connector on the car to verify which is red(+) and black(-), then apply to the proper pin at the solenoid itself. Like I said, I don't think DC voltage changes how the solenoid is energized, but just in case, follow suit with the power connector. It sounded like it was cycling very faintly, but also could be verifed by looking through the inlet of the solenoid and out of the outlet (you should be able to see into the inlet through the outlet when the solenoid is NOT excited.) Well, it was not cycling (could still see through). So I knocked the solenoid on a piece of wood a couple times gently and tried it again and then I could see the plunger opening and closing. So I thought it might had been just stuck. But after cycling it about 6-7 times it stopped cycling, but could then hear that faint clicking sound. So basically, it's junk.

These are solid state solenoids and can not really be repaired. So I went to the GM dealership and purchased one for $37. plugged it in... cleared the engine light and code by disconnecting the battery for 10-15 seconds (or you can use a code scanner to clear it). Started up the car and it's been a month or so since and I have no "Tighten Gas Cap" or Engine light codes.

So, apparently this valve was open all the time and was failing the vac check causing the engine light and Gas Cap messages... i.e. Large Evap Leak all the time causing horrible gas mileage.

I know this was pretty lengthy and detailed, but I hope it helps if you are also having this problem.

Please drop a reply if this DOES or DOES NOT fix your problem. I'd like to know. Thanks

I have an 06. What was that part # for the part you got at the dealer? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the link. Now, here is what I was told when I called the dealership today, and I would like to see what your opinion is on this:

Called my local GM dealer, parts department, and told them what I was looking for. He asked for the last 8 digits of my vin , and I gave it to him. After a pause, he came back and said he had the part for $25.68. Great I thought, till he told me, that the part had been upgraded,and I would have to buy an adapter harness to go with the part for an extra , $36.44, which just raised the price.

Now the question is, if I buy that part on Ebay is that what I need, or do I also need this adapter harness? Thanks. I would like to get this done this weekend. I crawled under the car and looked at it this afternoon, and it doesn't look like it will be that hard to change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the link. Now, here is what I was told when I called the dealership today, and I would like to see what your opinion is on this:

Called my local GM dealer, parts department, and told them what I was looking for. He asked for the last 8 digits of my vin , and I gave it to him. After a pause, he came back and said he had the part for $25.68. Great I thought, till he told me, that the part had been upgraded,and I would have to buy an adapter harness to go with the part for an extra , $36.44, which just raised the price.

Now the question is, if I buy that part on Ebay is that what I need, or do I also need this adapter harness? Thanks. I would like to get this done this weekend. I crawled under the car and looked at it this afternoon, and it doesn't look like it will be that hard to change.
There are a couple of things that could trigger this code, however most people find it is the evap solenoid at the rear of the car by the car filler tube as indicated by the link. If that is your issue it does not need an adapter. These solenoids have proven to be an issue as they are encased in plastic and the plastic cracks next to the solenoid allowing water and contaminates into it causing it to fail. Talk to the GM shop and ask them if what they are trying to sell you is the rear solenoid or the part in the front by the engine. Other than that is your choice. Also ask him if you can see the item he's talking about. Crawl under your car and check to see what yours looks like in comparison to what he is showing you. Maybe because of all the issue with them failing they may have made an upgrade. If so let us all know and give us a part number or pic of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are a couple of things that could trigger this code, however most people find it is the evap solenoid at the rear of the car by the car filler tube as indicated by the link. If that is your issue it does not need an adapter. These solenoids have proven to be an issue as they are encased in plastic and the plastic cracks next to the solenoid allowing water and contaminates into it causing it to fail. Talk to the GM shop and ask them if what they are trying to sell you is the rear solenoid or the part in the front by the engine. Other than that is your choice. Also ask him if you can see the item he's talking about. Crawl under your car and check to see what yours looks like in comparison to what he is showing you. Maybe because of all the issue with them failing they may have made an upgrade. If so let us all know and give us a part number or pic of it.
Thanks for the reply, I will do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 3.9L and have the same problem, but im am confused on the part numbers for my car.

Rockauto.com lists ACDELCO Part # 2141473 + ACDELCO Part # PT250 adapter.

Amazon.com says this is the wrong one for my car, but doesnt have one that fits? Also, if that is the right part from rockauto, do i really need the adapter plug?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2006 3.9L and have the same problem, but im am confused on the part numbers for my car.

Rockauto.com lists ACDELCO Part # 2141473 + ACDELCO Part # PT250 adapter.

Amazon.com says this is the wrong one for my car, but doesnt have one that fits? Also, if that is the right part from rockauto, do i really need the adapter plug?
Is your car a 2006 Impala? If so it does indicate that it has a different purge solenoid valve assembly than a 2007 up. I would see if it is located in the rear by the gas filler just inside the fender - viewable from under car looking up by gas filler tube. If it is than I'd check it out and match it up with what's offered at a dealer than order cheaper online. Mine came out of a 2007 Impala 3.5 and was not hard to change - about 20 minutes. Yours may be different. If so ask the question on this forum and I'm sure someone else has had the same problem. Hope that helps.:WTF:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts