Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post :yahoo:We just bought a 2005 Impala with the 3.4l engine. got it from a private party. 137k miles on it, Excellent interior and exterior condition, and the engine bay is really clean with no leaks or worn hoses/belts. When we test drove it, everything was nice and fine, no issues.
Now 1 week later, my wife is noticing that first thing in the morning, when putting it into reverse to back out of the garage, it doesn't really want to go until the car gets 10 feet back, then will lurch as if the transmission is jumping into gear, from then on, it drives fine. I told her to start the car and let it warm up, get the fluids moving, about 5 minutes or so before putting it into gear. Which seemed to work fine the first few days, now she says that it is doing the same thing again.
I was hoping someone might be able to help me get an idea of what I might be looking at, problem wise. I'm no mechanic, so it would go to a professional shop anyway if needed. but I would like to at least sound knowedgeable before taking it in.
thanks in advance,
Bill in SLC.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
and the engine bay is really clean with no leaks or worn hoses/belts.
First, WELCOME to the forum!!!

I am sorry I cannot assist with your issue, but just wanted to note, having worked at a shady used car dealer in High School, a really clean engine bay on an older car raises red flags with me. I like to see an uncleaned engine bay myself, because then I can really see leaks and other issues and know what if anything has been touched lately. Doesn't mean the seller of your particular car was shady, but just a tip for members here.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Welcome!

First things first, have you checked the fluid?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fluid checks ok, I believe, doesn't look or smelled burnt. still not detecting any leaks in the engine bay. And it only has the problem when cold and warming up. Keep telling my wife to let it run for at least 5 minutes before putting into gear. runs fine the rest of the time. when car is warmed up and been driving for a while, it shifts into reverse just fine.
Thanks
Bill in SLC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts