Impala Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my temp gauge on my base 2005 4.3L is acting up and now stuck on the hot side. My check engine light is only on because the picture is taken while the car is not started. please give me any ideas what you might think is wrong thanks.
0529112116(1).jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife had the same problem with the speedometer. I replaced them all with updated motors I got from Ebay. Fairly easy job.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Were you able to resolve this concern? Please feel free to keep me updated regarding the fix. I can also look into this further for you. In order to do more research, I will need the VIN for the vehicle. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Were you able to resolve this concern? Please feel free to keep me updated regarding the fix. I can also look into this further for you. In order to do more research, I will need the VIN for the vehicle. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Tricia, its really a pretty easy fix and a known problem (even if GM won't admit it) with the 2000-2005 Impala dash clusters. The stepper motors go bad, which is what has happened to the OP's temp gauge.

It falls into the same category as the Catalytic Converters, Fuel Level Senders, and numerous transmission issues that these cars are known to suffer from, and that GM has quietly ignored.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
A stepper motor (or step motor) is a brushless DC electric motor that divides a full rotation into a number of equal steps. Behind each of the needles on the cluster there is a stepper motor with plastic gear teeth.. With age they strip and end up getting stuck in position or reading inaccurately.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.