Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the 3.4. Our starter went out a few weeks ago, so after I towed it home & got it out I bought a cheap 105 dollar reman. one from O'Reilly's. What has anybody 's experience been with this one? It wouldn't retract or stop spinning after the car was started. So, I had them exchange it for another one, & it is doing the same thing. Is appears kind of like the starter splines are too close to the flywheel so they can't even get back out of the way enough to me.
Please help!
Thank you.
David

(Maybe I should have bought the 175 dollar one?)

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
We have the 3.4. Our starter went out a few weeks ago, so after I towed it home & got it out I bought a cheap 105 dollar reman. one from O'Reilly's. What has anybody 's experience been with this one? It wouldn't retract or stop spinning after the car was started. So, I had them exchange it for another one, & it is doing the same thing. Is appears kind of like the starter splines are too close to the flywheel so they can't even get back out of the way enough to me.
Please help!
Thank you.
David

(Maybe I should have bought the 175 dollar one?)

ACDelco makes excellent, rebuilt starters. Do you live in a larger city? If so, there are often ACDelco jobbers (sometimes combined with Motorcraft) that sell to the public and have good prices.

GM engine starters can be shimmed from the factory. Did you remove any thin metal shims when you removed the defective starter?

I realized cost may be an issue - but never cheap-out on critical components for a car that are used repeatedly and often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for getting back with me as I need to get this repaired & sold quickly so we can help pay for the tag for my wife's new car lol
There wasn't any shims that came off of the older one. I Do remember the older one being larger though & heavier!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please Help! I have put in 2 of the starters from O'Reily's now & they won't retract after starting. I took it back & got my munny back & bought the cheaper one at Napa & putit in & had the same result. They both appear to have not as long of a shaft where the splines are that engage with the flywheel as the original from what I remember, so when it retracts it won't be back out of the way enough to let go of the flywheel.. But, that's just my guess from what's happening.. Does anybody know of anything I can do? Or what's happening? Do i need to just break down & (save to) get the factory one so i know it's right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.