Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if the 2005 Impala has a chip key? Or was it skipped a few years? Should I maybe call Chevrolet? The manuel is very vague. The key the salesman gave me is a basic key and upon looking up replacement it appears that there may not be a chip in that year or needs to be programmed and I can just get a few more keys online or at the hardware store. Am I right?

2nd question. Replacement FOB, missing original factory radio. Does anyone know if it would be successful to do the door lock programming instead if I purchase a new set of FOB. The original of course is missing.

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
If you go to a Chevy dealer they can get you a new GM key and fob programmed/cut for like $50, IIRC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seems pretty cheap coming from a dealer. Which leads me to believe there is not a chip in the key (needing to be programmed). I can get keys and a new FOB from a private place $12-30.00 and program them myself (I'm hoping without a radio). I just have a feeling that this year does not have a chip in it. Anyone know?

Programming using door locks? Unsure if the dealer would do this or just use the radio. No original radio to use. and I'm sure would this be a shop thing (make apointment) or just walk in front door and ask for help? I'm use to doing this myself but I've worked with other makes of vehicles and had original factory eqiupment to work with. Never took this situation into a dealer for help.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
You can show up at the dealer and just tell them your concerns. Where are you in IL?

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Ok, yeah I'd suggest dropping by Haggerty Chevy or any Chevy dealer if you're out and about elsewhere, and just going to the service dept. and telling them what your questions and/or concerns are and if they can help and at what cost. Like I said, I think $50, but not positive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my opinion, that is pretty cheap, if I don't have to do the tedious task of programming the FOB and the key (which is worse when you don't have the original factory one)
Haggerty is very close and I've bought 2 cars from them in the past. This is my buddy's car and it was about a month ago (used dealer-not a Chevy dealer) and when he went back to get his plates and the key(s) & FOB, they stated they could not find them. Great! So in turn, I wanted to get him a few sets of Keys/FOBs as a surprise. I do know they are replaceable in addition to getting spares. It just takes a little more 'work' to program but it can be done. Unless, the dealer is cool about it and can do this without minumim hassle and major expense, maybe he (we) may go that route. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The impala key was not a VATS (chipped) key

Great - that was one answer I was looking for. I (he) can just get a basic key or a basic logo key without issue. Now to just program a brand new FOB without the original. (again -w/o radio I might add.

Again - Thanks for that. I was suspecting there not being VATS key to recreate.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Once you get a radio you should be able to program it yourself, IIRC... theres a thread here somewhere.

Or maybe thats how to program a radio?

Either way, get the radio, then worry about the FOB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya know - from what I remember - it's been a few weeks since I sat in the thing - but the radio was replaced (unsure of make/model) and works, but the steering wheel buttons and radio do not talk now. So that lead me to believe that this "new"/replaced radio may not do the job of programming a FOB for this particular Chevy. Opinions??

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My bad... ithought u had no radio at all, as if it were stolen.

Sounds like it was not installed properlly, there is a special harness needed to retain that functionality. That about all the advice I can offer, but Im sure others know more. Wait a little while and im sure u will get input!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts