Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Impala. The signal/wiper column lever would suddenly not allow me to change between hi and lo beams; only allowing to stay on hi beam. The next day, the switch began working again, although the clicking sound was gone (when switching the beams). I noticed lo beams not working at all. Hi beams are ok. I switched out one of the lo beam bulbs, no difference. I checked all fuses, under hood and in cab, none appeared broken. AutoZone did suggest the headlamp relay that appears to be inside the cab, but they nor I can figure out how to remove the lower plastic cover (looks like a small hex socket would remove this cover but we could not turn it).
Any suggestions ? Can I simply turn the hi beams down temporarily so I don't blind everyone at night ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't think that it is the Relay for your Lows that is making your Lights not work. From the sounds what you have wrote. Sounds like your Multi Switch has broken in the blinker area and your low beams are no longer making a good connection.

IF this was my car I would do a test on the ground wire for your Low beams.... Your lights have power all the time and when the Multi Switch changes from High to Low it sends that info down the Negative side.

The Lights power comes from your Under hood Fuse box, 10amp Fuse. LTS,EXT could be listed as such.... Check that fuse. If it is good it is sending power to the Lows... Check the power at the low beams make sure no broken wire. Once you do that. (If it was my car) I would take a jump lead from a good ground to the Dark Blue wire. This is the wire for the ground to the lights. Doing that should make the lows turn on. If you do it without cutting the wire both lows should turn on if the bulbs are good because that dark blue wire is going to a Splice Pack S173. If you make this connection and your light turns on only at the location you are running this test at then there is a problem with your wiring for the ground for the lights....

To Sum this up....

Relay is a unit used for both High and Low light system in the ground side of things. If both High and Low didn't work then good place would be Relay after looking over fuses.....
Check the LOW beam fuse. It will be 10amp Fuse in the TOP fuse box outside under hood. If good Move on. If not replace and check see if working now.....
If fuse tested out good, Test the power wire at the light of your choice. The power for the Lows will be a Orange Wire If 12v or your Battery Voltage is present move on. (If not look over wiring and find broken wire)
Check the ground to the low beam. This will be a Dark Blue in color wire at the head lights. Probe that wire and ground the other end to body ground. If both lights turn on check the wiring going into cars Multi Function switch on the column. It does make a change just as it goes upto the switch from Dark Blue to a Brown wire....Again back probe the wire (Brown) from the wiring of the Multi Switch give it a ground and again if you get lights on sadly because your Highs work it is going to be that you need to change out the Multi Swich on the Column..

About changing out the Switch. It can be done without Removing the Airbag....

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James,

Thx so much for the reply. Sounds like you know this quite well...but I am unsure with my experience level I can follow thru with your instructions.
I have tried to troubleshoot it a little more....all I had time for so far is trying to identify the blues and orange wires to the lights. I unplugged the right headlight harness clip and tested voltage in each pin. They were 2 orange and 2 dk blue. It appeared that the lower 3 wires in the plug (yellow,dk blue, black) were ground, and the top 4 wires (orange, pink, orange, dk blue) seemed to be positive 12V. I am unsure how to tell which go to low and hi beam bulbs, especially since I have 2 dk blue wires to each headlight.One thing I did do in order to drive it is I lowered the angle of my hi beams. That seemed to work last evening; however, this morning, driving to work in the dark, my entire dash (speedometer, mileage, etc.) is not lit up. ONLY the hi beam "blue" light shows up on my dash. Also, my radio is dark, not lit up. I checked the inside cab and hood fuses again, no problem found.

Gene

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hello Gene, I am sorry your having more problems with your Light system. IT almost sounds like there is a few issues with your car. I wish I was able to look over the car as it is hard at times to give good advice on what things can be....

However without the inside lights working and the issue with your Low Beams not working. It does really sound from your first post an issue (Main Issue) Multi Switch that is used for Blinkers and HighBeam and Low selections.

Please don't confuse the DarkBlue wire as a 12V supply... Just to help understand how Things work a little better, When something is going to a light 12V hot that wire will go through the Light and show 12V+ on the Ground side. That is Because there is NO Ground on that wire yet... So if you had added Ground to the Dark Blue Wire that was showing 12V One of 2 things would have happened (First The little Spark for a sec as the Light turns on and a good connection was made(This is the Result that I/you want)) Or I would have been wrong and you would have blown a Fuse at the outside top fuses... How ever if you have a light bulb and socket laying around take on and put the bulb in the socket, Put 12V on the power side. Then Test the Ground wire without connecting the wire to the ground you will see it shows 12V... That is because the Filament passes that though the bulb. However once Ground is giving to the wire it will light the bulb...

Another test you can do so you know that your looking at the right wires is test for Continuity Touch the Orange and Dark Blue and it should read that it has continuity...

I think that the Splice Pack 173 is at the Right light seeing it is on the Right side so when you see the 2 DarkBlue wires there that is because one of them is going to the Left side...

Now for the second issue, It almost sounds like that your Head light switch may be going bad (It is a Weak point on these cars for some reason) I don't want to say they all fail but they have a large rate of fail.. I would have thought it may be there but because of your first post with not hearing the click of High to low and then having to do it hard and what not kind of tells me that is your Main Issue....

however there is also a Last and Worse case I would hope that isn't going to be the Issue and that could be that your BCM is starting to go out... So there is a few things that I would do for sure on top of the thigns that I have already said I would do....

CHECK ALL YOUR GROUNDS from your Battery, in the Car that goes to the BCM and make sure that all the grounds are with good connection, NO rust or Corrosion. Clean up all Battery connections to be safe... ( Something that I have seen in some of the Connections I have seen a build up of Corrosion that you can't see unless you look over some of the connections well... That even though it isn't at the Ground area on the body it can still make for bad ground if you understand what I am trying to relay.....

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok I wanted to make a Adjustment to my words before lol.... Looking over the Wiring for your car all I Can say is WHAT were they THINKING????

ON the Left High Beam they have the 12V+ a Dark Blue OMG really... However the Right Side is Orange. Pink is the Gound wire for the High Beams. Then the Orange Wire is 12V+ for Low Beams both Right and Left and the Dark Blue is for Ground control leading from Multi Switch...

In the top Fuse box there is 2 Fuses. One is for the Left and one for the right. It does both High and Low per side. Orange Wires for power from the FUSE block.... However On the Left Highbeam the Dark Blue comes from the DRL Relay. Here is the funny thing. That dark Blue goes to ground when the BCM sends a Ground to the Relay... So it could really be a hard think to test out on the LEft High beam if someone didn't see the wiring diagram. The reason it can go to Ground is because again Ground to ground can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James,
Thx again for the input and thought....it hurts just trying to understand you here ;-) with all the + and ground wires....
The wiring is confusing...at least to me. I kinda understand what you are sayin concerning the 12V+ ...so this weekend when I have more time I plan on working on it. I have ordered a turn signal switch/harness and hope that fixes the low beam issue.
What I have noticed the past 2 mornings driving to work , concerning the dashboard lights:
My hi beams come on (which I have adjusted to point down like lo-beams), and the hi bema indicator light comes on. The dash is completely dark, except for a very faint light for the gear/transmission mode (P,N,D, etc.). The radio lights are very faint. I am in NC and around 7:15 am it is still quite dark. By about 8:05 am, suddenly my dash background lights come on, radio light brightens....it acts like I have just gone into 'night-time' mode or something. Then when I leave work, it is dark, at dusk, and all dash lights are off again upon starting my car....like my car's "night sensor" is backwards. It stays like that all the way home.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Don't sound good for sure. Sorry about all the + and - or wiring info.. What I was trying to do is help with how to make sure for 100% that it is your Multi Switch...

For me, I am the type of person that I like to trouble shoot my Electronic issues before replacing parts.

I would for sure CHECK your grounds. Make sure all the ones under the dash are in good shape and all the connections are tightly made.

Keep us up to date with your car.

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to replace the multi function switch. It did correct the low beam issue.
I was able to do it without removing the steering wheel, so that saved time.

Thx for everything, James, your advice helped a lot !

Gene

·
Registered
588 Posts
Gene, That is Great to hear you got your lights fixed. I know the person in the Auto Parts store had good intentions in mind while trying to replace your Relay... Fixed a few in my years not once was it related to Relay... I am glad you were able to get it done without the Wheel Removal. I have had to remove them a couple of times to Replace the ClockSpring and not really fun lol...

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 Impala. The signal/wiper column lever would suddenly not allow me to change between hi and lo beams; only allowing to stay on hi beam. The next day, the switch began working again, although the clicking sound was gone (when switching the beams). I noticed lo beams not working at all. Hi beams are ok. I switched out one of the lo beam bulbs, no difference. I checked all fuses, under hood and in cab, none appeared broken. AutoZone did suggest the headlamp relay that appears to be inside the cab, but they nor I can figure out how to remove the lower plastic cover (looks like a small hex socket would remove this cover but we could not turn it).
Any suggestions ? Can I simply turn the hi beams down temporarily so I don't blind everyone at night ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its the negative side of the circut that quit in your multifunction (dimmer) switch....if you touch a probe from ground to black wire leaving switch....low beam lights will come on....you can add a toggle...(manually) activate them...daytime light should still be functioning anyway....or get new switch....$$$...and l believe you need to pull wheel to install

1 - 11 of 11 Posts