Impala Forums banner

2005 impala

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  LaneLeBaron 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm a newbe here and I have question on my wife's 2005 impala... One day her speedo starting acting up and then her engine seemed to lose power or like it didn't want to shift. She has had it in the shop several times and they changed the speed sensor and the pigtail on the speedo but it still acts up. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks olderthandirt

#2 ·
Welcome to the Impala Forum!
Does your car have a check engine light on?

#4 ·
...they changed the speed sensor and the pigtail on the speedo but it still acts up.
When you say pigtail, are you talking about wiring in the dash? Or wiring to the transmission?

Given the speed sensor is new, my thinking is a wiring problem in the transmission or at the connector coming out of the transmission.

If the transmission is acting up, the control module for it is likely not getting the correct speed reading resulting in the wonky shifting.

I would be inclined to go back to the shop and ask them to look into this further. They know what's been done so far and hence should be able to take it from there. Whereas, if you go to another shop, they'll have to start over.

HTH.

Doug

#5 ·
Well she doesn't know exactly where the pigtail was replaced but she figures somewhere around the sensor. As I said before the scanner is not showing anything but the car does not run very smoothly. Is there another pigtail on the transmission? Is there a sensor inside of the transmission? All of her gauges work fine except for the speedo flopping around and the car not running smoothly.

Thank You
olderthandirt!!!

#6 ·
If the car doesn’t run smooth, it most likely has nothing to do with the trans.
Not sure where to point specifically but maybe a misfire or something along those lines.

#7 ·
Well she says it is like shifting and then down shifting and sluggish. It has never done it on me even tho I have driven it a lot. I thought someone had told me that there was a sensor inside the tranny that could cause this? If it is a wiring thing a person may never find it. She said when they put a borrowed pigtail in it that it ran fine. Then put a new one on and it ran ok for about 30 days and then started acting up again. I will question her more and see if it jogs her memory on anything else!!!!!!

Thanks olderthandirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.