Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 imapala started making this whining/screaching noise while idling. Its stays constant even as i accelerate. I think it might be coming from the serpentine belt or serpentine wheels. Please help with any ideas.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You'll have to narrow it down, start trying to pinpoint the sound while it's running, poke around under the hood. Could just be a bad idler, could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May i add that my car has 123,xxx miles, it started overheating about a month ago. But i know its because my radiator is full of rust, bought a new radiator but havent got around to swapping it. It reaches the red at some times not all the time, may this have something to do with the whining.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Like I said, you have to listen and find what it's coming from. Once you find that, you can start figuring out what is causing it.

Why is your radiator full of rust? That shouldn't be able to happen. Are you sure it's not dex-cool mud? Either way, it will need a really good flush or you'll just keep having the same problem. It shouldn't have anything to do with the noise.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is dex cool mud, how can that be fixed. Ive done a good flush on it and its still there. i have a new radiator, will that stop the problem, if so what should i do differently about how i add dex cool. For about 2 years i ran my car on just water, is that maybe what added rust to the radiator.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Dexcool turns to sludge if it gets mixed with green coolant, or if you put stop leak products in it. Could be either of those, or it could be rust from your engine block because you put water in it for 2 years. What climate do you live in where the engine didn't freeze or seize from heat? Replacing the radiator isn't going to help a rusted engine block, you can try flushing it till it seems clear, then USE ANTIFREEZE, you'll probably have to flush it frequently for awhile to get it cleared up. Use name brand coolant because it has a higher silicate content, that will help seal the metal and stop the rust. Dare I ask what you are using for oil or any other fluids?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in central california, it doesnt get that cold here at the most 30 degrees, and right now in the summer highest 115 degrees. I was told by a mechanic a year ago my radiator was rusted. Where my radiator cap belongs it is rusted/dex cool mud all the way down the neck. Could that be coming from the engine block. I change my oil every 3,000 miles at the local quick lube, the same for transmission local shop.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it's funny that a 2005 anything has rust in the cooling system. I would switch to a different manufacturer. Maybe try one that didn't need to receive a government bailout, oh wait that only leaves one. Ford. whoops.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just found out what the whining/grinding noise was, the water pump. That would explain my overheating issues.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By removing the water pump, is there a way of seeing if theres mud/rust in the engine. I was thinking there might be some in there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im sorry for all these posts, my nearest auto parts store is autozone. Is duralast a good brand to go for a water pump.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
In my experience, a water pump is a water pump, doesn't really matter. As far as the guy telling you your radiator is rusted, ask him to explain how aluminum and plastic can rust. It doesn't matter how often you change your oil, the coolant flows through different passages, they are unrelated. Dexcool is not the only coolant, but you can't mix it with anything else. You can flush the entire system and run whatever coolant you want.

And to notachevyguy, show me a ford that wouldn't have the same problem if someone ran straight water in it for 2 years, read the posts before you comment, and try to make your comments useful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my experience, a water pump is a water pump, doesn't really matter. As far as the guy telling you your radiator is rusted, ask him to explain how aluminum and plastic can rust. It doesn't matter how often you change your oil, the coolant flows through different passages, they are unrelated. Dexcool is not the only coolant, but you can't mix it with anything else. You can flush the entire system and run whatever coolant you want.

And to notachevyguy, show me a ford that wouldn't have the same problem if someone ran straight water in it for 2 years, read the posts before you comment, and try to make your comments useful.
I have had bad luck with "duralast" auto bone house brand parts.

If you want to come over and look at my 64 ford running straight water in it since 2007, then come take a look.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Last I checked, engines from 64 were made out of iron, which rusts when in contact with moisture. Coolant has silicates to coat and protect the iron, water does not. Water also has a lower boiling point, and higher freezing point than coolant. It also won't lubricate the water pump and will cause it to fail, and will rot out the freeze plugs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Last I checked, engines from 64 were made out of iron, which rusts when in contact with moisture. Coolant has silicates to coat and protect the iron, water does not. Water also has a lower boiling point, and higher freezing point than coolant. It also won't lubricate the water pump and will cause it to fail, and will rot out the freeze plugs.
That sounds good on paper. I guess I'll have to take a picture. Water boils at 212 degrees in atmospheric pressure at sea level. Every pound of pressure it is under adds 4 degrees to the boiling point, so 13 pound cap, The water will boil in my trucks cooling system at 264 degrees, and freeze at 32 degrees, which it does not see here. I'm not saying antifreeze is a bad thing, it should be run in the cooling system. I'm just cheap and lazy, and for one reason or another, it does not show rust in the water in my application. Also, I have never heard of straight water rotting out brass ( freeze plugs), but I don't know for sure. Also, I believe that it takes Iron, moisture, and oxygen to create rust.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2005 imapala started making this whining/screaching noise while idling. Its stays constant even as i accelerate. I think it might be coming from the serpentine belt or serpentine wheels. Please help with any ideas.
I'm sorry I got this thread WAY off topic. Take a piece of hose and stick one end to your ear and put the other end near all of the pulleys one at a time. I know it sounds a bit red neck but it works. It will be obvious what is making the noise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts