Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put brand new tires, struts and left side cv axle on and the shake is still there. I'm replacing the right side cv axle today. Is there anything else that will cause the front end to shake when you accelerate?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I've put brand new tires, struts and left side cv axle on and the shake is still there. I'm replacing the right side cv axle today. Is there anything else that will cause the front end to shake when you accelerate?
A tire out of balance or out of round can cause shaking, but that can occur whether accelerating or under constant speed.

To occur only under acceleration makes me think either a bad CV joint that is becoming mis-aligned under the higher torque of acceleration, or perhaps a shift in the toe (alignment) occurring under high torque causing the front wheels to point in, towards each other.

When the latter occurs, the contact patch of the tire(s) can move in and out causing things to shake. The contact patch(es) will move inward until the sidewall reaches maximum flex, then pop outward, then repeat. When you let off the gas, the toe goes back to its normal position and the tires roll normally.

If you have a bad ball joint or tie rod end, that will allow the toe to shift slightly under torque. When you hit the gas, do you hear or feel a clunk, or feel it in the steering? When you rock the steering wheel back and forth (at idle) do you feel any popping or clunking in the wheel? Do you feel anything in the brake while pedal doing that?

Along with the new axle, I would get the front end checked for play in the ball joints, tie rods and control arms.

[Edit] One other thought: A bad motor mount (passenger side) or transmission mount (driver's side) can allow the engine/transmission to move around under torque. For causing a shake, that's probably a stretch, but it's something else to consider.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’ve got a rumble on my ‘02 and I recently noticed that my engine seems to have a lot of “play” in it (movement from radiator to firewall direction). Looks like maybe the dog bone rubber bushings as cracked? If so, might try the rotating trick first to see if that calms the rumble. I would imagine that if you’re driving along, and the engine is vibrating forward and back, that this might contribute to a front-end rumble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts