Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving to bank the temp seemed fine around the half way mark. Turned car off to use atm when I turned the car back on the gauge read that it was in the red. After it running for about 5 min it went down to 3/4. Then I went to Target. When I came back to my car and turned it the gauge rose all the way to the right past the red danger zone, and seems to be stuck. I drove about ten miles home becuase I had my kids in the car and it was 98 degrees outside. What can the problem be, thermostat. Is it possible I did damage to the car. The car did not seem that it was overheating, no smoke at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to remind you guys I just swapped my radiator and water pump about a week ago. Starting to doubt the work I did.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I let my car cool for 5 hours, went to turn it on and the temp gauge is in the red area. That car has to be cold within 5 hours. What is wrong.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
By car off, do you mean with the key on, or off? If its that way even without the key in the ignition, then the gauge is busted. If its only with the key on, its probably the sensor. Check the pigtail on the sensor first to see if there is a break, or a spot worn through on the insulation. But the sensor is pretty cheap, and easy to replace.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the key out of the ignition I can see the gauge in the red zone. How do I check the pigtail on the sensor is broken, where is it located.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive been researching around, it looks like it might be the temp guage motor that controls the needle. Anyone have any idea if this is a hard repair. I guess this is a common problem with 2004-2005 impalas.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Its fine, I don't even have one and I'm ok.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I've never torn into one of those clusters, I don't know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts