Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Impala Stuck speedometer:

75 K, rides like it just came off the showroom floor - except for this one reoccurring problem.

I can reset the speedometer to 0 one of two ways: disconnect the battery or the 'secret' code, starting car in R 3+ times then starting in P or N ( the needle will fall completely to 0 or take several attempts.

Either way I can drive for 50+/- miles, sometimes a lot further, before the needle is stuck: says I'm driving 80 when I'm actually at 55.

No check engine light. The harness appears clean with no visible wire wear. I've scanned with my toy scanner and no codes appear.

Does anyone know of a code for this problem that may show up with a better scanner?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Stepper motors that operate the gauges are the problem. Search Impala stepper motor problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Bill: I should have asked this earlier but it slipped my attention: Does a bad speed stepper motor ( speedometer needle stuck at speed higher than the car is going) affect the transmission performance or does it indicate a separate issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stepper motors that operate the gauges are the problem. Search Impala stepper motor problems.
Hello Bill: I should have asked this earlier but it slipped my attention: Does a bad speed stepper motor ( speedometer needle stuck at speed higher than the car is going) affect the transmission performance or does it indicate a separate issue?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter • #4 2 h ago

My '05 had the same problem with the speedometer and it did not effect trans performance. I sent the cluster for a rebuild, replace all steppers. I't been several years but all the gauges still work perfectly. Sorry I can't remember where it was sent. If you rebuild your cluster the odometer will be correct. Junk yard replacement will have whatever mileage the donor car had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If tranny shift points are affected, may suspect a faulty vss.
  • Transmission revs higher before it changes gears
  • The car's transmission engages into overdrive late and sometimes will never go into that top gear
  • Brakes are sometimes harder than normal when coasting
  • Speedometer behaves erratically or sometimes does not work at all
  • The check engine light comes on intermittently and sporadically when accelerating
  • The overdrive on/off light blinks on and on for no apparent reason
Other than the stuck speedometer none of the above apply. Also, the scan did not pick up code P0500. Thanks for the suggestion, the vss was one of the first suspicions I had but without the code showing up I'm looking elsewhere. If the transmission doesn't develop problems I'll probably leave as is and reset the speedometer to '0' when necessary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Discussion Starter • #4 2 h ago

My '05 had the same problem with the speedometer and it did not effect trans performance. I sent the cluster for a rebuild, replace all steppers. I't been several years but all the gauges still work perfectly. Sorry I can't remember where it was sent. If you rebuild your cluster the odometer will be correct. Junk yard replacement will have whatever mileage the donor car had.
Thanks once again Bill. I think I'll keep a close eye and ear to the transmission; as long as I don't hear or feel anything suspicious I'll keep driving at 90 mph knowing full well I'm cruising at 55. At this time all the other steppers seems to be working fine.Appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks once again Bill. I think I'll keep a close eye and ear to the transmission; as long as I don't hear or feel anything suspicious I'll keep driving at 90 mph knowing full well I'm cruising at 55. At this time all the other steppers seems to be working fine.Appreciate your advice.
Hello Bill:
Well, slept on this repair and decided to order the part. Why not? At 71 there's always a few extra minutes to keep busy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hello Bill:
Well, slept on this repair and decided to order the part. Why not? At 71 there's always a few extra minutes to keep busy.
Personally I like having gauges that work. Not that hard to R&R the cluster anyway. Best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts