Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how if the 2005 Impala comes with rear door safety locks..or a feature to program the doors so they can't be opened from the inside? My kids have opened the rear doors twice while i was trying to park the car. I was not able to find any swtich to flip like others have.

Thank You,
Bill

·
Registered
657 Posts
yeah they do, but its not a programmable feature, its in the door jamb. you will see a little black plastic switch embedded in the door. use a small screwdriver or something to get to it and flip it.

EDIT: you say you already looked for it, let me go and make sure, i may be thinking of my TrailBlazer.

·
Registered
657 Posts
yeah, its there, just not black, mine is white.

its the round hole below the door latch

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Just out of curiosity did you look under where the metal bends under the latch mechanism? They may have moved it. Also do you still have the owners manual? If so it should tell you where and how to activate the system.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I thought auto manufactures had been required to put them on cars since the mid 90's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went in through the radio and programmed the door locks to only unlock the drivers side door when put in park. This does lock out the rear doors but none of the other three doors will open until i unlock it myself. At least its better then what it was.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought auto manufactures had been required to put them on cars since the mid 90's.
Interesting.. I have a 2004 Malibu Maxx and it does not have the child locks. I know it's not an Impala, but thought I would mention it.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Interesting.. I have a 2004 Malibu Maxx and it does not have the child locks. I know it's not an Impala, but thought I would mention it.
Does your Malibu also have the RDS in the radio? It appears that with the RDS the actual child lock system is no longer needed.

I know many of the 06 and current cars (and some earlier) have the auto locks that engage when the gear selector is moved out of park position.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Does your Malibu also have the RDS in the radio? It appears that with the RDS the actual child lock system is no longer needed.
thats not entirely true. my 2000 has (had) an RDS radio and i still have the child locks built into the doors as a manual switch.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Then I have no clue as to why some have them and others do not.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought the purpose of the child locks was to prevent the rear doors from being opened from the inside, locked or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering if anyone here has any more information on the missing child safety locks. I just bought an '05 Impala LS and cannot figure out how to activate the child safety locks. If it is done through the RDS, I cannot figure it out, and the owner’s manual is of little help. The only option I can think of at this point is to take the door panel off and physically disable the inside door handle. Obviously I would prefer to not go that route.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts