Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Impala and when I'm driving and turn left or right I hear a knocking noise. When I'm sitting still and turn the wheel there is no knock at all. I'm very confused as to what it can be. Also, when I turn the wheel it makes a funny noise, sort of sounds like a zipper. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Is the "knocking" coming from the left side or right? I would check the outer CV joints. If you find a missing, cracked or torn CV boot then you have found the bad joint. The joint will need to be replaced.

The "zipper" noise may be from the felt (or simular) material used in the steering column (it is supposed to be some sort of bushing), it may be dry and making the sound. Chevys are known for this. If so you may want to live with it until you really need to take the column apart.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
could be wheel hub as well, theres also an issue w/ the Intermeditate shaft, but that usually results in a "creeking" sound.

If theres no tear in the CV i would put my $ on the wheel hub ($100-400 depending on source, and pretty easy to change)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't pinpoint the knocking noise, I just hear it and feel it in the steering wheel whenever I turn. Also to Detroit, it does kind of creek, mostly when I'm waiting to turn and pull off. Can you please elaborate a little more?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Bulletin No.: 01-02-32-001J
Date: June 08, 2007
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Clunk Felt/Noise Heard From Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front Of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate or Replace Intermediate Shaft As Appropriate)
Models:
2001-2004 Buick Regal
2005-2007 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse
1997-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
2000-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
1997-2005 Pontiac Sunfire
2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix
Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360°of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.
Cause
This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft which results in a slip stick condition possibly resulting in the clunk noise.
Correction
Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.
Replace the existing steering intermediate shaft using the service procedure found in Service Information. The remaining vehicles listed below will still need to have the current I-shafts re-lubricated. New I-shafts will be released later in 2007 for some of the remaining vehicles.

Shaft assembly - Steering gear Part number 25829294 00-05 Impala

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
no problem!

Just keep in mind there are a FEW things that could cause this, and that is only one ;) It's hard to diagnose an issue w/o seeing the car in person ;)

CVs, Hubs, and IS are all good places to start looking though

·
Registered
1 Posts
similar problem

I have a 2005 Impala and when I'm driving and turn left or right I hear a knocking noise. When I'm sitting still and turn the wheel there is no knock at all. I'm very confused as to what it can be. Also, when I turn the wheel it makes a funny noise, sort of sounds like a zipper. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
I seem to have a similar problem with my 01 Impala. With mine it seems to make the noise when i go from park to drive and let it roll a little bit. Never does it while I'm driving, but does it sometimes when I make a turn. Someone has suggested to me that it could be the motor mount on the bottom drivers side. Anyone know how much this would cost me to get fixed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts