Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some input from fellow impala owners. I had my 2005 impala (160,000 mi) in for suggested coolant flush because coolant was only reading good for 0 degrees F. Had that done Saturday morning at my local Chevy dealer in Green Bay - this morning on my way to work in 5 degree weather the temp gauge quickly pegged out to the max - pulled off the highway and let it cool down and and was able to limp home on the back streets. The dealership picked it up with a tow truck and looked into it - they called me and told me that it has a bad head gasket and loosing coolant thru the exhaust - $1700 to repair at Chevy garage. I had the head gaskets replaced on it at about 110,000 (50,000 miles ago) at a chevy dealer Upper Michigan a couple years back. how in the world to gaskets only last 50,000 miles? Is that dexcool that is required that terrible? Or just GM's designed obsolecence? Could there have been something during a coolant flush to cause this? Air trapped in the system maybe? I am going to call around local shops to get estimates - the car is barely worth the cost of repair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: just chatted with GM customer service - apparently there is only a 12 mo/12,000 mi warranty on parts and service.

Understand that the parts warranty for a component is 12 months/12,000 miles. So the part would not be covered under warranty. Also as the vehicle is considerably outside of warranty there would not be any assistance on the necessary repairs. Any moving component on a vehicle has the ability to fail; the timeline or life expectancy of each component is dependent upon its use, and the options equipped on your vehicle. The amount of usage depends on many factors, including the drivability of the vehicle, the geographic area in which the vehicle is driven, and often the required maintenance needed for the related components in use on the vehicle.

so apparently head gaskets are supposed to be replaced just as often as brake rotors. going to see if the dealership will offer anything for a trade - towards a 2014 Camry that they have on the lot.

·
Registered
743 Posts
why you getting such a old car fixed at the dealership? go price around at other shops ill bet you get it fixed MUCH cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
^^Agreed! Only reason to take your car to a dealership is if it's still under warranty (and in some super rare cases when you need dealership-level tools). Otherwise, you can get the same work done at a good local garage for 1/2 the price. Too me, it seems way too coincidental that the head gaskets suddenly went at the same time they did the flush. Or - it's not really the head gaskets and they are just trying to take your money. Definitely get a second opinion and better price!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.