Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. 2005, 3.4 with 171,000 kms. I have issues with my abs and traction control lites coming on. I know it is a sensor somewhere, it's a guessing game. Used to come on when the car got wet, then progressed to coming on as soon as I put the car in drive. Now, the lower left side red "brake " icon will lite up occasionally. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 25 minutes or so. Brakes feel fine, but obviously there is an issue. Do not want to sink a lot of money age and mileage are a concern. But otherwise, it is a good car...any ideas?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Probably wire harness going to your wheel hub check for damage on wires and socket where they plug into the hubs. Could be wheel hub going bad or the sensor in hub going bad. Dealer or a good shop should be able to tell you which one or ones are bad.
check out search on forum lots of threads on this.
Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Just changed both my wheel bearing hubs in the front myself, and saw no frayed or cracked wires. Did the same cursory check in the rear, with nothing visible. I kinda figured I would have to go and have it scanned. Just hoping for an easy fix. (wouldn't that be nice once in a while? Ha ha )

·
Registered
173 Posts
x2 on checking the harness. It can still be bad but not show any visible damage. Find an auto parts store that will scan abs codes for free to determine which wheel is throwing the error and then check that harness with an ohmmeter. Chevy issued a technical service bulletin about the harness being too short and/or rubbing against other parts. My right front harness was bad, got one from rockauto.com delivered for about 35 bucks and it was a simple fix.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ All great advice and very true. The abs harnesses are common to fail due to GM's mistake, esp the front one's. But, the abs sensor's/hub's are also a regular maint thing. After about 100-140k miles they tend to become worn out or dirty. All abs sensors are magnetic sensors so, if a small particle of iron/steel gets stuck on them, it tends to result in a replacement hub. Most of these abs sensor are non-serviceable which means, replacing the whole hub. Whenever you have an abs problem, inspect abs harnesses, clean terminals, and apply dielectric grease. Then, unhook battery for 10 min while key is ON. Then, start car and drive for a bit to see if light/s disappear. If not, take to a local shop or autoparts store that has an ABS CAPABLE OB2 SCANNER. Have a scan done to find the correct corner/area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts