Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

A few weeks ago, I started smelling oil while driving. Crawled under the car and cleaned it real good, and checked everyday after work. Here is were it is leaking from. Seems like right next to the oil pan and transmission, just higher up on the engine.

Can anybody guess what seal is bad? Is not leaking bad, I don't notice any missing on the dipstick.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Is there a way to check the torque convertor location on these cars? To see if there is oil in there from the rear seal?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Take the black plastic piece off and see if u can see anything leaking? Looks like a rear main Seal is leaking

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help.

Anybody know how long the ASE time is for a rear main gasket? Just curious what I am looking at for repairs...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't know the exact time for it but either the engine comes out or the transaxle which is very involved but doable.

·
Registered
651 Posts
on my 2003 3.4L it was the oil pump drive / distributor blank O-ring. Could also be the lower intake manifold and the front seal in back of the bottom pulley for the serpentine belt. what year and motor? Get a small bright flash light and look around under the throttle body and the other side of the intake manifold. Then again could be the oil gremlin squirting oil on the under side of your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mikey,

I have a 2003 Impala leaking oil in the same area as your photos. Could you please tell me what that leak turned out to be?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts