Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok a friend came over and said he had howling noises in the front of the car. he determined he wanted to change out the hubs. so i took it apart and changed out the hube. all went rather good for an 05 in michigan. so i put it back together and he drove it around and said it was quite and the steering was better and so forth. then yesterday he said he was on the xway doing 70 mph and when stopped he had a what he said was a grinding noise.

so today i spent the better part of the day testing it out. we ran it without tires and had a thumping sound from the right side. sometimes it was smooth sometimes it knocked. so i took off the calipers and rotors and spun them again and i did not hear anything with the stethoscope on, then i found a busted sway bar hitting the driver side axle. can't say that was the issue but the knock when away after i removed that broken part. but then i put a bar in the lugs on the left to keep that axle still and spun up the right side and it ran smooth then all of a sudden it started thumping again and knocked the bar out of the left side. no anti brake message came on

he was thinking i over tightened the axle nuts but i have cranked on wrenches so long i have torque down real good. so i used the torque wrench to loosen them and it took 80 pounds to loosen. and most of the youtubes say 80 pounds.

so this time i found a torque sheet and for the 05 impala they say 150 pounds. so i torqued them with the torque wrench to 150 pounds.

i'm wondering if he had a caliper sticking and overheating the rotor to a warp condition. so today he drove it home and called and said so far so good, i told him to give it a few days or weeks to see if it returns. if it does i will move the issues by swapping the hubs to see if the noise moves to the left side.

so what say you guys. i was under the idea that less torque would not do any harm but over torque could damage the hub? so did having them at 80 pounds cause my issue or maybe we may start thinking caliper.

thanks for any ideas. bob p.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Torque specs are there for a reason.
That being said, I don't see why 80ft-lbs vs 150 would cause that dramatic a noise problem. I'd be more worried about the axle nuts loosening over time.

Broken sway bars are common on the 7th & 8th gen Impala. They tend to make noise. Change the sway bar out with the Dorman part and install Moog Poly bushings and end links.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks hatzie after i removed the broken end that was hitting the axle we did not hear that thumping noise. the axle nut was not lose for the original part and when i put 80 pounds on it i used blue loctite to hold them from getting loose. but anyway they are both now at 150 pounds or torque. i know about the torque requirements you need fasteners tight, and some more than others. i have never had a fastener come lose but i did have some keep breaking on one machine i was in charge of because they were not tight enough. they broke every day until i got the proper torque on them 250 pounds of torque and i had to go under a machine to do it, what a job that was.

anyway he told me he did not have the issue again so far but i told him to just drive it and wait and see if it returns. i'm leaning on a caliper that is not releasing enough and causing the rotor to heat up to warp i also took off the pads and rotors and cleaned them with brake clean and heated to burn off any residual oils and i took the rotors and ground down the rusted parts on the inner and outer edges so the pads would not rub on them and cause issues. so now it is a waiting game if he goes for a few weeks without any issues then i say it is fixed.

thanks bob p.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I did the devil may care torque on the *** Cartrige bearings on my A1 VW Rabbit and Scirocco vehicles in my younger years. Torque was supposed to be 250ft-lbs. I just made them damn tight :rolleyes:
Didn't seem to make a heckuva difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i do not use a torque wrench much as i have wrenched for so many years it seems i got them about correct. i did it on this car because the owner was standing there and just to make him feel good i put the torque wrench on them. when i told him the first go around that i had them at 80 pounds and then i used the t/w to loosen them and they came lose at 80 pounds he was convinced. so this time i went by the book and used the t/w to 150 pounds so he was satisfied they made torque.

you know how it is whey your repairing something for someone and then just after the repair they have issues around that same area, they think you did something wrong. so i took it all apart and redid it and tested all the parts so he could see they were good and all parts were tight. re cleaned the pads and rotors with break clean, heated them to burn off any residual oils and ground the inside of the rotors to remove the rust build up.

i told him i think he has a caliper sticking. i swapped out the rotors side to side and it still hammered on the r/s. can;t swap the caliper but i told him if it does it again i will take the hubs off and swap them side it side to try and move the problem. if it does it again but on the left then we know it was a bad hub from the store brand new. and sometimes you do get a bad one. if it stays on the r/s then it is a caliper, but we will wait and see how it goes now. thanks bp.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You know that NEW is an acronym. Never Ever Works. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts