Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 impala makes a knocking sound when ever i start from a stop while turning left. it did it before winter hit. i dont recall it ever doing it while turning right. it only happens when starting from a stop while turning left. another thing is, i NEVER heard it this winter until today when it was warmish out. maybe coincidence with the temperature but idk. there isnt any problems with the car while driving it once in motion. what could it be?... on other threads i saw that i may be ball joints.. i hate that there is something wrong with my car i cant fix :bang:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
have you checked your cv boots?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Not talkin bad because I occasionally do it to but the snow drifting can be bad on cv axles.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Does it do it backing up while turning as well?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not talkin bad because I occasionally do it to but the snow drifting can be bad on cv axles.
i dont doubt that, but this is the first winter that its been in while under my owner ship. it did it before winter so i would say its the drifting from this year... it was a car to shuttle people from the dealersip to home or w/e for a while, but not at the dealership i bought it from. i think it wasnt used much for that cause its in pretty dam good condition.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
You can fix anything with the proper tools!

Likely something with the drivetrain or brakes. Could be cv's, calipers sticking, loose calipers, etc. Have you noticed anything else that could be related to this knocking?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can fix anything with the proper tools!

Likely something with the drivetrain or brakes. Could be cv's, calipers sticking, loose calipers, etc. Have you noticed anything else that could be related to this knocking?
I meant to say couldn't be from this year... But no, never does it enless I'm moving from a stop. Haven't looked at the joints yet. I think I'm gonna have them check out everything when I get my good and bumper stuff repaired. My dad mentioned the struts. It comes from the driver side.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Likely cv's, steering rack, or wheel hubs.

It could really be anything. I would jack the front end up and set it down on jack stands. Grab each wheel and shack it vigorously. Feel and listen for any play or noises that shouldn't be there. Take wheels off, put lug nuts back onto the rotor and tighten down. Now shake the rotors and do the same. If you cant find or hear anything then, start the car and turn wheel the left and right, listening for the noise.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok well i was looking at a ss indy edition impala, admireing it and all. wishing i wasnt getting married soon so i could get it. and i started to back up and that popping noise did its thing... So YES it does pop in reverse also... if i could the ss i wouldnt have to worry about it eh

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well while rotating my tires I had the front end in the air, the passenger side is solid when I shook it. The driver side not so much, there is a little play and it will make the knocking sound but much smaller than how it sounds in the car. It doesn't move much when I push towards the car and pull back. I should have checked everything for any lose bolts.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should have done it without rim as well like you said g25, but it did it with both rims, did it before and after rotation.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You have to grab the wheel at the top and bottom and wiggle, then front and back and wiggle. Top and bottom movement can be a bad hub, or balljoint. Front to back is usually a tie-rod. When you get play, look behind the wheel while moving it, and see what is allowing the movement.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ill give it another try tomorow when i haev time. i only shook forwards and back... i noticed its happening a lot more now. it did it when i shifted down into 1st while slowing down to see if anything would happen, i was driving straight. ill post tomorow what i find

1 - 17 of 17 Posts