Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my car but its a big headache!!!!!
I have been having over heating problems...
Put a new radiator, water pump (twice), thermostat and its still overheating

Obviously i know its head gasket/heads i was trying to do all the little stuff with hopes it will last me a little longer.

I took my car to a shop to get it diagnosed it is head gasket but they don’t know if the heads is cracked. Basically he quoted me 1,800 to fix. I have about 121k on it right now and pretty much has been ok minus regular maintenance. I don’t know if i should put that much $ in it I’m worried about the tranny going out.. He also quoted me 2100 for a rebuilt engine

I have been searching forums to see what other ppl are doing and seems like more ppl are doing the work themselves obviously i can’t lol

I just need a few more yrs out of this car me and the hubby recently purchased a gmc terrain so hubby was using this as a commuter car if you would even call that hubby only works 3 miles from home. i obviously cant afford another car and dont have $ to fix it... is it worth saving for or should we just call it a loss and buy another used car which could possibly be a problem.

:bang:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
You don't have many options at this point...

If you don't have the money to use right now, for either a purchase or repairs, you are SOL. If you have the money for a rebuild OR a used vehicle you need to ask yourself a few things. Does my car have any other problems? Has it been reliable besides the engine overheating? Does it fit my needs and within my fuel budget?

If it was me and I was quoted $1800 for head work or $2100 for a refurb motor I would take the motor any day. You have no idea if the constant overheating has damaged the block/intake/etc.

Edit: you should ask yourself those questions because a new used vehicle could have a million problems under the hood. If your vehicle has worked great, short of overheating, I would put the money into it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't have many options at this point...

If you don't have the money to use right now, for either a purchase or repairs, you are SOL. If you have the money for a rebuild OR a used vehicle you need to ask yourself a few things. Does my car have any other problems? Has it been reliable besides the engine overheating? Does it fit my needs and within my fuel budget?

If it was me and I was quoted $1800 for head work or $2100 for a refurb motor I would take the motor any day. You have no idea if the constant overheating has damaged the block/intake/etc.

Edit: you should ask yourself those questions because a new used vehicle could have a million problems under the hood. If your vehicle has worked great, short of overheating, I would put the money into it
Ya so far it has just been overheating and since we have already replaced so much other things... we might just have to put the $$ into it. just have to decide if we are going to save it or get a loan :( I just dont want the tranny to go out or something because that has happened to me before

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If it hasn't been giving you trouble, it should be ok for awhile. I know how it is, I had a Subaru that I put about $4k in repairs, then totaled it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts