Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a rebuild on a 2005 Chevy Impala 4T65E and reinstalled it without to much trouble. Upon startup, it makes a metal on metal noise around the torque convertor like a bearing that is bad. There was no noise before I did any work on it. I when I torqued it to the flex plate, it pulled it in around a 1/4 of an inch and I was unsure if that was normal. Also used ARP bolts that had a slightly larger head than OEM so unsure if that could have anything to do with it as well. It makes this noise while in park and fluctuates with rpm. Have only put in 9 quarts of atf out of the 13.5 but have not ran it through any of the gears or let it run much not knowing what the problem was so it is still full above the dipstick markings. I inspected the pump for wear or damage and looked great and spun freely on installation. Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 243.1k miles
321 Posts
I’ve been on automotive Forums for the vehicles I own (and am interested in owning) for over 20 years now, and I have to say ... I’ve seen very little talk (pretty much zero talk) about transmission internals. And of all the Forums I’m on, this one has the least amount of traffic, so I hope you’re posting your question in multiple places.

Is this your first transmission rebuild, or just the first of this type?

·
Super Moderator
232 Posts
Ran into this issue years ago when I thought it would be better to replace the allen head bolts with standard hex heads, not only were the allens shorter they were narrower to give just a few hundreds of clearance when the torque converter ballooned under power thus the reason for the flexplate. I'd say go back to the original converter bolts, GM had a reason for these and they're not known for spending money on casting revisions when a shorter bolt will do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts