Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 3400 engine needs to be replaced. What engines are compatible with little to no other modification? I'm struggling to find clear information online

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
2005 3400 engine needs to be replaced. What engines are compatible with little to no other modification? I'm struggling to find clear information online
I would just get another 3400. GM made zillions of these. Here is a good article with more details. This engine was in production for 10 years, and used in many different models listed in the article.

I cannot guarantee you won't need to swap a few parts. For example, even though these are all designated "LA1", the ones used in the Pontiac Aztek and Buick Rendezvous did not have EGR valves, according to the article.

I've not done this swap, but hopefully someone who has can chime in. Possible differences I might anticipate include:
  • the oil pan - it's part of mounting the engine in the vehicle
  • intake manifold and up due to differences in duct work, fuel connections, etc
  • fuel lines near the motor
If you get one from another 2005 Impala, it should be the least complicated swap. Different model year Impala (2000-2004), maybe some minor differences. Other w-body models such as Pontiac Grand Prix, maybe a few more differences. Entirely different models such as a Chevy Venture mini-van or Pontiac Aztek would probably present the most differences, such as the aforementioned oil pan. (Again, I'm just thinking out loud here.)

If you get one from a junk yard, they will likely have a Hollander reference, and that may be able to give you more specific details about any differences. Be sure to discuss this with them, and ask some questions about the details.

The good thing is, all the LA1's have the same short block, heads and internals. Swapping an intake or oil pan is probably the worst thing you may encounter.

HTH.
Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts