Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the base model but I got the factory amp in the trunk. I am trying to install 2 12" subs with a 1000w amp. I have no experience installing anything but the headunit. i am currently saving for the wiring harness for the onstar and door chimes. I want to know if that is enough wattage for the amp and Ialso want to know how to install the subs and the amp. My deck is a JvC 50w x4. I would also like to know what are some good speakers for not too expensive. I am a student and I dont have millions. Thanks to anyone who helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i would suggest gettin a new HU,JVC sucks IMO!!!

For good speakers,i would go to Best Buy and get sum Alpine type S or R..Good speaker IMO for a good price,now if you want sum PIMP SHIT...I would get sum Boston Acoustics,SICK CLEAN SOUND never had any problems with Bostons...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Subs & Amp

Installing subs and an amp isn't that hard, your main priority is installing the amp...The subs just hook up to the amp -- very simple! First, make sure you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery-- then you should do the harder part..Which is running the power wire from the battery back to the trunk where the amp should be mounted (I personally mounted mine inside of my car in between my 6x9's and ran the speaker wire around and down the trunk under the carpeting that just is velcroed down. :) ) You definitely need to run the power wire through a rubber grommet in the firewall. There is one right next to the brake pedal if you pull back the carpet. You can hide it under the kicker panels on the sides. They easily pop out! :) Then run your remote turn-on wire(the blue one) to the back of the radio (It should be a blue/white remote turn-on wire)..Hide that wire on the same side as your power wire. Run your RCA's on the opposite side of your power wire (for ground distortion). Ground out your amp to the chassis of the car(usually about 3 feet away). Connect everything to your amp, connect your speaker wires to the speakers, and then when everything is said and done, reconnect your ground to the battery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Subs & Amp

Installing subs and an amp isn't that hard, your main priority is installing the amp...The subs just hook up to the amp -- very simple! First, make sure you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery-- then you should do the harder part..Which is running the power wire from the battery back to the trunk where the amp should be mounted (I personally mounted mine inside of my car in between my 6x9's and ran the speaker wire around and down the trunk under the carpeting that just is velcroed down. :) ) You definitely need to run the power wire through a rubber grommet in the firewall. There is one right next to the brake pedal if you pull back the carpet. You can hide it under the kicker panels on the sides. They easily pop out! :) Then run your remote turn-on wire(the blue one) to the back of the radio (It should be a blue/white remote turn-on wire)..Hide that wire on the same side as your power wire. Run your RCA's on the opposite side of your power wire (for ground distortion). Ground out your amp to the chassis of the car(usually about 3 feet away). Connect everything to your amp, connect your speaker wires to the speakers, and then when everything is said and done, reconnect your ground to the battery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)
If I want to keep the factory deck but install subs and an amp in my '05 Impala will I need to buy an adapter and if so, what kind?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
If I want to keep the factory deck but install subs and an amp in my '05 Impala will I need to buy an adapter and if so, what kind?
It depends on the amp. Most of the sub amps I've hooked up had high level inputs. If I was just adding a sub to a factory setup, I just jumpered the rear speakers to the sub amp inputs.

Typically, I only use the low level (RCA) inputs when the head unit has readily accessible low level outputs, as is more common with aftermarket head units.

Take a look at your amp and your hookup instructions and see what you have to work with.

In the pic below, this is a 4-channel Sony amp. It has four RCA inputs, and an 8-pin connector for high level inputs. The amp came with a cable for that connector. I just had to jumper/splice it into the rear speakers (and not connect the other four wires in the cable).

On this amp, as I recall, the rears can be bridged together to make a single channel with ~4x the power of the two individual channels.

HTH.

Doug

sub_amp1b.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends on the amp. Most of the sub amps I've hooked up had high level inputs. If I was just adding a sub to a factory setup, I just jumpered the rear speakers to the sub amp inputs.

Typically, I only use the low level (RCA) inputs when the head unit has readily accessible low level outputs, as is more common with aftermarket head units.

Take a look at your amp and your hookup instructions and see what you have to work with.

In the pic below, this is a 4-channel Sony amp. It has four RCA inputs, and an 8-pin connector for high level inputs. The amp came with a cable for that connector. I just had to jumper/splice it into the rear speakers (and not connect the other four wires in the cable).

On this amp, as I recall, the rears can be bridged together to make a single channel with ~4x the power of the two individual channels.

HTH.

Doug

View attachment 162507

Alright man, thanks. Thinking I'm going to get the adapter to convert to RCA and everything should work out. Appreciate your input plano-doug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Subs & Amp

I am wondering if anyone could tell me, can I take the factory setup 2009 Bose Radio, amp, & all the speakers , Harnesses that run from the rear speakers and amp all the way to the back of the radio under the carpet and install it in a base model 2008 Chevy Impala to upgrade it? I am already swapping all the leather seats out so I’ve already got both cars down to the bones anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts