Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's car is nearing 100,000 miles and we have never done anything with the transmission. One Auto shop says we only need a flush but don't need to change the filter. To me it seems that changing the filter would be a good idea at this stage in the car's life.

any recommendations on what maintenance should be done here?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
557 Posts
usually you don't have to change the filter if you're flushing it. but if you've never had the trans flush done in a 100k I don't recommend doing it. The dirt in the trans may be what's keeping it together. And it could cause more problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should change the filter every 100k miles, with the transmission fluid flushed every 50k miles, but have the filter changed at the first flush. I work in an auto repair shop and that's what we recommend.

However, I do agree with the other poster, at 100k miles, if it's never been done, the dirt is probably the only thing holding that transmission together and you may create all sorts of headaches flushing it now. Flush at your own risk.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i dont see how a tranny flush is ever a good thing to do. drain the fluid, change the filter, clean the magnet off in the pan, and put in NEW fluid. do NOT use the same fluid.

EDIT: damn, this post is old.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
i say just change the filter but use the same trans oil because your trans is used to it , DONT FLUSH
whahaahahaha!!!!!! Trans fluid just like motor oil looses additives and can become contiminated also.

USE NEW FLUID spec'd for application. The only flushing I recommending is undoing the cooler line and allowing it to go into a bucket while you pour more into the dipstick. I typically drop pan and change filter, add enough fluid and then disconnect cooler line to remove any remaining old oil from converter and cooler lines. Power Flushing via a machine is not recommended.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i havent changed mine yet , i guess your right , its just like an oil change put new fluid , i have people tell me never change the trans fluid , ok i have 76000 miles on my 2000 should i change it now or wait till the 100k and what trans oil is the best to put in , someone said a quart of lucas trans oil with the regular trans oil is good , is that right?
holysh** this post is old didnt realize , but anyway you guys can still help me out thanx

·
Registered
557 Posts
you're not going to clean anything by just dropping the pan. You need to get the crap out of the torque converter and coolers too, that's the best way to clean.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i havent changed mine yet , i guess your right , its just like an oil change put new fluid , i have people tell me never change the trans fluid , ok i have 76000 miles on my 2000 should i change it now or wait till the 100k and what trans oil is the best to put in , someone said a quart of lucas trans oil with the regular trans oil is good , is that right?
holysh** this post is old didnt realize , but anyway you guys can still help me out thanx
check the service manual, but I recall some of the newer FWD transmissions being "filled" for life unless severe service or rebuild. I'd change it at 100K unless you fall under severe service. Lucas Stuff Is pure crap. Keep it out of your trans and engine (their gas additive is okay)

you're not going to clean anything by just dropping the pan. You need to get the crap out of the torque converter and coolers too, that's the best way to clean.
yes but power flushing can be bad. If you want to flush, crack a cooler line and flush yourself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wife's car is nearing 100,000 miles and we have never done anything with the transmission. One Auto shop says we only need a flush but don't need to change the filter. To me it seems that changing the filter would be a good idea at this stage in the car's life.

any recommendations on what maintenance should be done here?

Thanks,
Dave
I changed the fluid and filter at 30K, as I want mine to last for many years to come!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts