Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just crawled under the car this morning trying to chase down where my oil is going. I have lost about a quart in the last two months or so. I did all of the idiot checks that I could think of:
- no coolant in the oil
- no visible leakage from the oil drain plug, oil filter, block, heads, valve covers or anyplace else I could see under the hood.
- There was a little bit of gray muck in the coolant just around the radiator cap and a little black residue in the coolant reservior. Drained and flushed the coolant system and all I could see afterwards was a little bit of a sheen on the collected coolant. The remainder of the coolant system looked perfectly clean.
- Pulled all of the spark plugs and did not see any carbon buildup or evidence of oil leaking in to the cylinders.

Anyone have any other ideas on where to look? The only other thing I can think of is to replace the PCV valve. The one that is in there is about a year old. Couldn't hurt to replace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is possible to put the car on the lift and to see around ( where the gasket is ) the edges of the engine oil pan with light ?

Leak maybe seal between the flyweel/transmission ( side torque converter ) or pulley damper.

The bolt for the oil flush on the oil pan is correctly tightened ?

No leak from the oil filter adaptor ( where the oil filter is ) ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, as best I can see, there is no leak between the LIM and the block, at the oil pan drain bolt, or oil filter. Just had the tranny rebuilt and the rear main seal was fine. No leak from the front seal either. I was actually really suprised at how clean the underside still was. The oil pan for its entire circumference has not a spot of oil on it. There is no streaming of oil on the underside of the car whee the wind carried it. I am just kind of baffled. I replaced the PCV and marked the oil level. We'll see how quickly its going down.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
No, as best I can see, there is no leak between the LIM and the block, at the oil pan drain bolt, or oil filter. Just had the tranny rebuilt and the rear main seal was fine. No leak from the front seal either. I was actually really suprised at how clean the underside still was. The oil pan for its entire circumference has not a spot of oil on it. There is no streaming of oil on the underside of the car whee the wind carried it. I am just kind of baffled. I replaced the PCV and marked the oil level. We'll see how quickly its going down.
ya lmk bec im miffed too

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only other thing I can think of to do would be a compression test. Will have to purchase/rent the tools before I can do that though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had kind of ruled out the bad compression too. the motor seems to be running fine and all 6 spark plugs looked the same. Hard to believe all 6 cylinders would go out the exact same way. not saying its impossible, but it would be unlikely.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Ever see any smoke on start-up or under hard acceleration?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't say that I have. Haven't specifically looked for it either.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I had kind of ruled out the bad compression too. the motor seems to be running fine and all 6 spark plugs looked the same. Hard to believe all 6 cylinders would go out the exact same way. not saying its impossible, but it would be unlikely.
ya usually 3&4 will go before the others

1 - 11 of 11 Posts